What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a simply external shadow

bobrock4

Hi, I have a jpeg to which I would like to add a simple external shadow. I have trasform the background to a level and I have tried to use level styles options with preview. Nothing has come. Some tutorials says that I'm doing right steps. What do I miss?

Thanks and ciao
Bob

I think it's a very simple task for an expert. I don't understand if I need to make a new layer below with a bigger background or I need to convert the only layer that I have in this image..

Hi dv8_fx,

many thanks for your reply. Here it is the image

I think, but am not sure you are looking for something like the image attached below. If this is really what you are looking for, let me know and I'll post details.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• web_design-01_ps01a-01_drop_shadow-01.jpg
    web_design-01_ps01a-01_drop_shadow-01.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 26
Hi Tom Mann,

this is what I have looked for. Very good. Wait for details about steps to do with the software.

Thank you and bye

I think, but am not sure you are looking for something like the image attached below. If this is really what you are looking for, let me know and I'll post details.

HTH,

Tom M

Hi Bobrock -

I was about to write down all the steps, but I realized that I have seen many nice on-line tutorials that describe this effect, so I Googled {drop shadow photoshop} and immediately found this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vcqPuTHVm8

I used almost exactly the same procedure as shown in the video with a couple of exceptions:

1. Obviously, since your image was cropped tightly, there was no room for a drop shadow to be seen, so I first added a bit of white space around your image, and then added a thin black line around that to give the impression that we are looking at a page of white paper with print on it. I put a copy of this on its own layer and made the background layer (ie, lowest layer in the stack) pure white.

2. Next, I expanded the canvas quite a bit more to give room for the drop shadow to be seen.

3. I used the layer style called "drop shadow" on the layer containing the "paper". I did it exactly as shown in the video, except that I had no reason to go past the point where he moves the shadow onto its own separate layer and then does "free transform" operations on it.

4. I gave the bottom (ie, background) layer a texture using the PS "filter/texturize" tool. This helps the eye distinguish the untextured "paper" layer from the textured background layer.

5. I expanded the canvas one final time to give the whole image a nice black border.

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

Back