What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to CS5

SlapShot

Newbie to the forum....I want to upgrade from my current Photoshop CS3 to CS5...Problem: I am using the last G5 MacPro before they switched to the Intel duo Cores...Mine is a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC processor,...will I be able to upgrade on this machine...also will I even be able to run any full version of the Creative Suite ??

It doesn't look like it.

From Adobe:
Mac OS

• Multicore Intel processor
  • Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 2GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash-based storage devices)
  • 1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
  • Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for multimedia features
  • Broadband Internet connection required for online services*
Adobe Photoshop CS5 Will Not Run on Older Apple PPC Macs – All Things + Thoughts PhotographyUncapped – Digital Photography – Adobe Photoshop CS5 – Ken Storch

You should be able to upgrade, i would suggest listing how much ram you have, what video card and maybe a few other things. Your CPU is fast enough to run it though. Try installing the Demo and see if it runs ok..

You should be able to upgrade, i would suggest listing how much ram you have, what video card and maybe a few other things. Your CPU is fast enough to run it though. Try installing the Demo and see if it runs ok..
Thanks for the reply ! 3 Gigs of Ram..NVIVIA GeForce6600LE =video card...I'm hoping for the best and thanks for the suggestion of trying a demo ...

Newbie to the forum....I want to upgrade from my current Photoshop CS3 to CS5...Problem: I am using the last G5 MacPro before they switched to the Intel duo Cores...Mine is a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC processor,...will I be able to upgrade on this machine...also will I even be able to run any full version of the Creative Suite ??

Mac OS
Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6.3; Mac OS X v10.6.3 required for GPU-accelerated performance
2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
10GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash-based storage devices)
7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed
1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card
Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
Core Audio–compatible sound card
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (SuperDrive for burning DVDs; external Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for QuickTime features
Broadband Internet connection required for online services*

Sure doesnt look that way to me
I have the same G5 CS5 does not run on it

Thanks for the input iDad ..Guess I'll have to make do with CS3...and probably buy a new machine next year...DAMN !

Ok !! Now that we're so happy about a new computer ( probably an iMac)...How difficult will it be to transfer all the STUFF from the old to the new...I'm especially concerned about major applications like Photoshop, etc... I know about the Tranfer Assist. but what about the various "permissions" that always seem to crop up ?? I have never moved the entire contents from one machine to another...Any caveats??

On a Mac I don't know, I'm a Windows user.
Photoshop shouldn't be an issue though.
If you want to transfer CS3 go to Help|Deactivate.
You can then install if form disc to the new computer, and then CS5 can also be installed from scratch as an upgrade.

What I would strongly suggest you do with the new computer is some full backups.
When you first turn it on there's probably all kinds of thing you're going to want to change, personalize, delete, etc.
When you get there and before you start to install your apps I'd do a full backup.
When you're about 33% done with the transfer another full backup, again at 66% and 100%

It will save you a lot of aggravation if something goes wrong.

Love, Hate relationship. Ah the joys of technology lol

Back