What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tutorial request. Help please

kbxcomix

Hey im Looking for tutorial or simply an explanation as to how this "Effect" or style is created (the hair is really stumping me).

Buddy-Holly.jpg
1604-bumper3.jpg

1603-bumper-blog.jpg

Attachments

• Picture+3.png
    Picture+3.png
    324.1 KB · Views: 26
Looks like the images are desaturated quite a bit, and then painted over, probably setting the painted layer to multiply. So for the hair (in the first 3 examples anyways) you don't even have to worry about creating a finicky hair selection, just colour roughly in the boundary of the hair, then set layer blend mode to multiply or color etc.

Looks like the images are desaturated quite a bit, and then painted over, probably setting the painted layer to multiply. So for the hair (in the first 3 examples anyways) you don't even have to worry about creating a finicky hair selection, just colour roughly in the boundary of the hair, then set layer blend mode to multiply or color etc.

Thanks it worked! but im still having trouble replicating the color brightness of the shirt on the second picture. How do i get the blacks and yellows to POP out like that?

If you do a quick selection of the jumper and then play around with the Levels and Hue/Saturation filters you should be able to get what you are looking for :)

webwize

webwize's suggestion should work. you could also just duplicate your painting layer a couple times and try different layer blend modes - also make sure the colour you paint over with is a pure, bright colour.

Thanks for all the help but i still cant get the yellow and black to contrast vividly as the 2nd pic. here is my quick attempt at the effect
snl-attempt.jpg

Wow - looks great! Who doesn't love Audrey Hepburn. It must be a too grey / muddy underneath the yellow. Underneath the paint layer, and overtop of the image, try adding a curves or levels layer and adjusting so the the light area where the yellow is goes completely white, and make sure to leave your black black. You would need to use a layer mask so you don't wash out the skin. Then paint with pure rgb yellow. Hopefully that works.

Wow - looks great! Who doesn't love Audrey Hepburn. It must be a too grey / muddy underneath the yellow. Underneath the paint layer, and overtop of the image, try adding a curves or levels layer and adjusting so the the light area where the yellow is goes completely white, and make sure to leave your black black. You would need to use a layer mask so you don't wash out the skin. Then paint with pure rgb yellow. Hopefully that works.

Thanks for the help! i finally got it to a point where im satisfied :D
Here's the final product.
snl-attempt2.jpg

Back