What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The adjustment menu is not active for smart object, why ?

Chrissburner

Hello! I am new here, great to see all of you, friends!
When I create a smart object, the adjustment and levels menus are inactive for this layer. why is this happening and how can i fix it? Thank you !
My goal is to change the color of the t-shirt. I know this can be done another way, but I want to do it this way because I saw it in a clip. And probably it doesn't work for me, because some setting has to be touched somewhere..
2.jpg3 copy.jpg

I noticed that in the "image - mode" menu, is 8 bits/channel ... I changed it to 16 bit, restarted photoshop, then all the steps again and again my adjustment menu is inactive..
2024-10-23_160407.jpg

I even did a factory reset of all settings, as follows
460105943_1194811574907415_397303888579810349_n.jpg
But none of that helped.
Now I will give some information about the system I work with and the version of Photoshop.
Windows 10 Pro, Adobe Photoshop CS3 10.0,
I have also tried with photoshop cs 6, the result is the same.

Thank you !

Hello and welcome to PSG .

I realize that this is beside the point, but if your going to just apply an adjustment to the the shirt without going into the smart objects PSB file for the change, then why convert to a smart object at all?

Does your issue still happen if you don't convert the layer into a smart object? But for the sake of argument, what happens if you doubleclick the Smart Object and it opens the PSB file? Are you able to apply adjustment there?

NOTE: You should be using adjustment layers for this anyway...........they can be edited and it's non-destructive. Does your issue happen with adjustment layers? (LAYER > NEW ADJUSTMENT LAYER)

EDIT: I have read that in CS3 you can not directly apply adjustments to a Smart Object layer. You have to right click and choose edit contents.

I just tested this in CS6...........it's just as you described, same non-issue. The only way to add adjustments is to open the PSB (double click or right click and select edit contents).

The solution for this would be to not convert the layer to a smart object.............unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

Let us know how this goes!!!

then why convert to a smart object at all?
- Because i saw a video clip (tutorial) and I thought I would do it the same way.. but it didn't work, which makes me think that some setting somewhere might need to be changed.

Does your issue still happen if you don't convert the layer into a smart object?
- if i don't convert the layer into a smart object, then adjustments menu work fine.

I just tested this in CS6...........it's just as you described, same non-issue. The only way to add adjustments is to open the PSB (double click or right click and select edit contents).

The solution for this would be to not convert the layer to a smart object.............unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

Let us know how this goes!!!
Yeah... this work for me.. right click and select edit contents into the smart object layer.. thank you..
I will try to explain why I am looking for this particular way of working.

I noticed that there is a specific difference between editing the rasterizе layer and the smart object layer.
One is that resizing an image to a larger size does not lose its quality, it preserves it.. unlike changing the settings for a photo in a rasterize layer.
So called the difference between vector and bitmap graphics…
I thought the ratio would be the same in the other applied settings when it comes to the object layer, that it applies them more carefully and not so sharply..
but I could be wrong about the last one I claim.

I apologize for my bad English

- Because i saw a video clip (tutorial) and I thought I would do it the same way.. but it didn't work, which makes me think that some setting somewhere might need to be changed.
You were probably watching a video while someone was using a later version of Ps where adding an adjustment to a Smart Object CAN be done. You can't do this in CS3 or CS6 so your settings are just fine!

- if i don't convert the layer into a smart object, then adjustments menu work fine.
This is the way you should be doing it in the case you present above in your example.

I noticed that there is a specific difference between editing the rasterizе layer and the smart object layer.
One is that resizing an image to a larger size does not lose its quality, it preserves it.. unlike changing the settings for a photo in a rasterize layer.
Yes, this is a great reason for using Smart Objects, however, you are just making a selection of the T-shirt, copying it to it's own layer and then adding a color change with an adjustment..............you would not need to resize the T-shirt layer itself and not the rest of the image, so there's no need to convert that to a Smart Object. Just add the adjustment or clip (clipping mask) the adjustment layer to the selected area on it's own layer.

I thought the ratio would be the same in the other applied settings when it comes to the object layer, that it applies them more carefully and not so sharply..
but I could be wrong about the last one I claim.
Yeah, I'm not sure about this claim.

No worries about your English.......seems to be fine!

Yeah... this work for me.. right click and select edit contents into the smart object layer.. thank you..
Sorry, I missed this one.

Opening the PSB document will work for you in this situation if you insist on using Smart Objects in this manner. There's nothing wrong with using the Smart Object in the way you have described, it's just not necessary and has no benefit.

Just so you know, that adding an adjustment while it's in the PSB file (edit contents), is still destructive. You should use an adjustment layer clipped to the selection (T-shirt) layer.

You were probably watching a video while someone was using a later version of Ps where adding an adjustment to a Smart Object CAN be done. You can't do this in CS3 or CS6 so your settings are just fine!
Yes, I installed Photoshop 2024 25.6.0 release and everything is fine now :)
Thank you for your help!

Back