What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Object Problems

Alexandria

These 3 "Squares" all consist of 3 layers: shadow, main square, white frame (I didn't make them). None of those squares are straight. I converted the main square to a smart object to be able to continuously change the image. My problem now is that when I place embedded, it is not "angled" and therefore doesn't fit the "square". What am I doing wrong? Help appreciated :unsure:

1723315831183.png1723316215956.png

Did you rotate the squares before or after you converted them to smart objects?

Are you placing the image in the PSD file or the PSB file?

OK, so the image appears straight in the angled square?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that's what you said above.

This tells me that the template was not set up properly. Can you post the template?

You can use the attach files.
Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 4.24.24 PM.png

If the file is too large, you will have to use a web hosting site and post a link.

OK, the 2 frame mask (square/panel) was already rotated when you converted it to a smart object. That means that when you place embed a photo in the PSB file, you will have to clip and then rotate the image to fill the square (panel) that's already rotated!

PSB doc view
Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 4.44.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 4.49.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 4.49.15 PM.png

If you don't want to have to clip and rotate your image, your original square/panel/rectangle needed to be completely straight before you convert it to a smart object. Then you can rotate it all you want!

OK, the 2 frame mask (square/panel) was already rotated when you converted it to a smart object. That means that when you place embed a photo in the PSB file, you will have to clip and then rotate the image to fill the square (panel) that's already rotated!

View attachment 146366
View attachment 146367
View attachment 146368

If you don't want to have to clip and rotate your image, your original square/panel/rectangle needed to be completely straight before you convert it to a smart object. Then you can rotate it all you want!
Ok, so I make all 3 square straight, convert the middle layer to a smart object, then turn them to any angle? When embedding an image, click smart object, enter "any angle" image and close again and it will be correct?

Ok, so I make all 3 square straight, convert the middle layer to a smart object, then turn them to any angle?
Any panel that you intend on using as a smart object, needs to be completely straight BEFORE you convert it to a smart object. Then you can rotate or reshape the panel (in the PSD) in any way you like and the PSB panel will always appear straight. So yes!

When embedding an image, click smart object, enter "any angle" image and close again and it will be correct?
Double click the smart object, this opens the PSB doc/tab, add an image, no need for angles here, and it will be added to the rotated panel in your PSD document.

Here's my panel
Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 5.15.00 PM.png

Convert to a smart object
Then rotate (Note: You ca re-rotate, move, and distort this panel as many times as you want!)
Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 5.15.13 PM.png

Double click the SO layer
PSB opens (note that it's straight)
Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 5.15.27 PM.png

Add an image
Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 5.15.50 PM.png

Save the PSB
Here's what the panel in the PSD will now look like.....
Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 5.16.03 PM.png

Fantastic, thank you so much for your help
You're very welcome!

Here is a new version of the template you posted. I organized it and added a new smart object group for a new panel. This will demonstrate how the panels should be made.

I created a new panel (rectangle), converted it to a smart object, added a white stroke layer style for the frame.
I then created the black drop shadow layer below the panel with a feather. I converted this to a SO and added a Gaussian Blur.
I then used Free Transform and warp to add the curves to the drop shadow. I positioned the the drop shadow.
When done I grouped these layers. I used Free Transform on the group and rotated the panel.
I then double clicked the SO panel and added the bird image. Saved the PSB.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

Back