What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Save Gif in only one channel

TheToastGhost

I have made a gif and I want to only save it in the red channel, how would i get this done? Ive tried un-viewing the other channels, but it doesn't take that into account when saving the image as a gif. Anyone know a solution?

Gif static image or animation? What PS version do you use?

You can try dragging the red channel into a new canvas of same size, splitting the channels, select the appropriate image and save as gif.

I'm not certain what you intend as your end result. Dragging the channel into the new canvas will automatically hide the other channels of the document and you have a grayscale-like image labelled as Alpha1 in the channels palette thus it's actually a mask. only by splitting the channels will you be able to save it.

Unhiding the rest of the channels will get a red cast image mask. Which direction you go from this point may entail different procedures before you can save it as a gif.

Like dv8, I'm not sure what your wanting as an end result.

Let's ay that you have the "Show Channels in Color" option checked in interface preferences.

Here is a blue paint splash.
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 12.04.49 PM.png

I go to channels and click on the green channel.....I have this now...
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 12.04.30 PM.png

If I try to save this I will always get this!
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 12.05.14 PM.png

As far as I know, you cant save color information from a channel.

Take a look at these to see if they provide an answer.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WS531AEB41-F058-40ed-B5B9-674406DEA7AC.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WS6EC2A68B-AE8D-4987-87E2-28272B744445a.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-76c3a.html

You can however, which is the only thing that would make sense here, go levels, and set the output to 0 on the colours you do not want. Red-scale, Blue-scale or Green-scale sort to speak.
3dyk0iay.png

I just did an experiment with this effect, by putting the blue-scale, red-scale, and green-scale versions of this image on top of each other, setting each version to 34%, and it looked very much like the original. It was a lot duller in colour and contrast, but I didn't expect a computer program to be able to mimic light so well. I think I was expecting it to be some sort of purple-scale or something.

Remember guys, the channels are actually masks - each containing varying degrees of black - a representation of the color data in the image. Which is why you can do that, Spruce......

And these channels can be used to edit the entire image in the same way a normal layer mask can be used.

So it goes back to the OP who seems to be missing .... What are his intentions for it?

By dragging an image's channel into another image, One can create interesting effects.

Channel Mask Lizad.jpg

I dragged one of Lizad's channels into the city night scene... cropped out the rest of the channel contents leaving lizad to resize and drag in place. I then CTRL+click Alpha1 channel and painted blue and green on a new layer then lowered opacity.

I know... you can simply just CTRL +click any channel in the Lizad image and drag the selection into another image. But dragging the entire channel in could be the start of something else. Up to your imagination.

I sometimes use this to create a watermark in my personal work projects and then some.... hint, hint.... Let's see if some smart aleck can edit that out..... :twisted:

Back