What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repairing part B&W, part color elevation of heritage furniture

Alexandre

Hello !

I am working on a 3D model that i got from 3D scanning a heritage building in my country. Unfortunately, laser was too close to a certain piece of very important furniture and couldn't pick up color on a part of the piece. I've followed tutorials on how to color B&W pictures but so far I've only been able to more or less match the tones using a color fill layer. Is there a solution to get an approximately seamless pigmentation of the black and white part ?

Thanks in advance, pictures attached

Screenshot 2024-07-27 234847.pngScreenshot 2024-07-27 235307.pngScreenshot 2024-07-28 001845.png

Here's how I approached it ..
- selected the area to be retouched and saved that selection to an alpha channel
- placed colour samplers in both the known and unknow areas
- with the feather selection active, via the alpha channel, used selective curves to get closer to the RGB values
- this got the colour match somewhat better but, as the lighting was quite different, used curves adjustments to get a better match in both the lights and darks
- sampling in the known area, painted on a new layer in colour mode
- numerous further curves adjustments, using the masks, to apply selectively, got to this point ...

Recolour.jpg

Used the Color Match option in PS Neural Filters and a curves adjustment layer. Close and much faster.

Neural.jpg

Back