What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing fishnets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam: "...As to my opinion of removing the fishnet stockings, I feel there's really no simple way that will turn out looking natural. I would mask off the legs, fill them with a skin tone color, and paint back the shading...........it's still not going to look very good unless you have some mad painting skills. Good luck. ..."

That's one of the two approaches I would suggest, as well. Another approach might be to try some leg replacement surgery using Photoshop.

And, as I said in post #2 in this thread, "...In general, this isn't an easy problem...". :bustagut:

Tom M

PS - Sam, thank you very much for hunting down the source of that image. Even before we saw the image, my suspicion was that it might be problematic. That's precisely why I said (also in Post #2), "...If this is a commercial image that you didn't photograph, buy or license a new one where the model isn't wearing fishnets."

Sam: "...As to my opinion of removing the fishnet stockings, I feel there's really no simple way that will turn out looking natural. I would mask off the legs, fill them with a skin tone color, and paint back the shading...........it's still not going to look very good unless you have some mad painting skills. Good luck. ..."

That's one of the two approaches I would suggest, as well. Another approach might be to try some leg replacement surgery using Photoshop.

And, as I said in post #2 in this thread, "...In general, this isn't an easy problem...". :bustagut:

Tom M

PS - Sam, thank you very much for hunting down the source of that image. Even before we saw the image, my suspicion was that it might be problematic. That's precisely why I said (also in Post #2), "...If this is a commercial image that you didn't photograph, buy or license a new one where the model isn't wearing fishnets."

I heard you in post #2....................not to worry...........just backing you up. :thumbsup:

Even though this request to remove fishnets definitely seems "fishy" (pun intended) given its murky Craigslist provenance, I gave it a shot anyway to see if I could do it. My approach was to re-paint new skin over the fishnets. I think it came out ok and would probably pass muster unless somebody zoomed-in very, very closely to examine the skin texture. (I won't post the results until somebody tells me it's ok to do so for instructional purposes, since it's not clear that anybody has permission to use this photo.) Anyway, here are the steps I took:

1. Did a Color Replace, replacing all reds with an average skin tone. As expected, this looked absolutely awful, but it got most of the red out and got me halfway to where I needed to be.

2. I made a careful selection of the legs using the pen tool. Using that selection, I copy-merged the legs-only onto a new layer and gave it a very healthy gaussian blur, which succeeded in unifying the skin tones while preserving much of the original highlights and shadows.

3. I manually enhanced the highlights and shadows that had lost contrast from the gaussian blur. I also increased contrast using a high pass filter with a high pixel threshold, set to Overlay. I increased the saturation and added a warming filter to re-adjust the skin tones of the legs to match the upper body.

4. Added new skin texture using two layers of noise with gaussian blur. Lastly, I created a new noise layer and applied Pixelation>Mosaic to distort the skin on the legs and prevent the texture from looking too uniformly perfect.

If it's ok to post, I would appreciate any comments.

Rich

Personally, I think it would be fine if you posted it because we've pretty much established that this is only for educational purposes.

it's not as if you came here and asked us to modify a copyrighted image for u that you were then going to resell.

I love to see what you have done.

Tom.

Last edited:
Yes, please do post it. We would like to see what you did.

Very nice! Who says it can't be done?
Rich, do a favor and Mark those Educational as a watermark. They look so good I removed them to let you mark them.
Thanks

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks!

I bet if you look hard enough you'll probably find a model's picture on the web matching close enough to replace those legs

ALB68 said:
Very nice! Who says it can't be done?
No one said it couldn't be done.............just difficult.

I did not describe the details but this was pretty much what I suggested. The tones are near perfect, good job. The highlights are whats missing making the legs look a bit too dark. The hardness of the selection edges make the legs look pasted on. A good blurring around the edges would help this out.

All in all a fantastic job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back