What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Saving Bug

Joost Dingemans

Hey there folks!

A few days ago I started painting in Photoshop cs5. I have used photoshop for quite a few years and never seen something like this happen: I started making my most beautiful painting ever yesterday, and almost finished it today. Now I saved it, put my laptop in my bag, and went home. (My laptop didnt bump into anything or something) And now I wanted to show it at home, so I power up my laptop, open the file, and it's just a big black screen with a little red on the top. I added a screenshot.

hoorn fail.png

I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with this bug, and if there is anything I can do to regain my file.

I didnt make a back-up of it yet, and only saved it in one folder. Please help :( I was so proud of myself.

Kind regards,
Joost

I doubt you'll be able to recover this.
It could be a bug but it could be a disc problem too.
Run Chkdsk.exe on you drive.

There may be recovery software available for purchase.
Good luck

In your PS preferences, I'll bet that you did not check the option, "Disable Compression of PSD & PSB Files". I'm fairly confident in this prediction because if the file wasn't compressed, a single bit flip in the image data of the PSD file would only corrupt one pixel, whereas, if compression was used, a single bit flip somewhere in the image data hoses ALL of the image data that follows it in the file. This appears to be exactly what happened to your file, and is exactly the same sort of thing that goes on when JPGs become corrupted.

To answer your question about repairing the file, while there may be ways to do so, they require sophistication and seriously deep knowledge of programming, file format specifications, etc. For most of us, this means handing the file over to someone else. Sorry,

T

Well then thanks for your replies Tom Mann and Steve. It's a pity I can't regain the file without doing lots of efforts. Luckily it was just a project of my own as a practice shot. But I will look into my options and check my compression.

Thanks for the help :)

Joost

Back