What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS5 Brush Sizing

iDad

Guru
Usually I change brush size very easily by pushing the ] key but in CS5 it's not working.....any clues why? I have checked all the preferences but I see nothing to help

It's working for me in CS5.
Alt+Shift+Ctrl+K on a Windows machine opens Keyboard Shortcuts and go to Shortcuts for: Tools.
Make sure [ + ] are set as the shortcuts for brush size.

Also when you use [ + ] look at the brush size box on the to left side of the screen.
Is the number going up and down but you don't see the brush on the screen?

If so try updating your video driver.

LOL this is strange, it worked before .....I think it has something to do with the brushes, some work, some don't....... very strange

So it's not Caps lock or anything I mentioned?
Try to reset, you may have a corrupt preferences file.

1. First, hold down all three Ctrl+Alt+Shift buttons
  2. Now "while keeping those button held," simply open Photoshop or a file that opens with Photoshop
  3. As Photoshop loads, you should get a prompt asking if you would like to "delete the Photoshop settings file", Click yes

I had the exact same thing happen to me once. It was infuriating because I use those keyboard shortcuts all the time. I can't remember how I fixed it but somehow I got it back to normal.

I had this problem today, and I found this forum while searching for the solution. As it turns out, TheNatio had the correct solution for me. I was using the shift and alt keys in CS5 shortcuts. I had forgotten that these keys toggle my keyboard to German in Windows. Consequently, I was trying to alter my brush size by pressing ü and +, the German response to the English bracket keys.

Last edited:
make sure youor keyboard is set to USA--others will change this where i am. it totally changes the way keys work.

I came here today to see if anyone had a solution to that problem because it has been happening ever since I switched to CS5.

My keyboard is set to US can CAPS LOCK is not on or anything unusual like that.

My brush resize shortcuts work for a while then for some reason they stop working. This problem only happened to me in CS5 so I think it's a bug with this version.

The only way I can fix it is to close then re-open CS5 but that is frustrating since I have to to it several times an hour.

Does anyone have a permanent solution to this, please?

P.S: I am using Windows 7

Last edited:

Back