What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help for my son to make crisp clean lines using Photoshop with his Wacom tablet

Mister Mac

Joined to help my Autistic son use his Waccom tablet and Photoshop but need help.

I hope some of you experts out there in the Photoshop world can assist me in some questions I have about older versions of Photoshop vs new, how to use with a Wacom Cintiq 12wx, and possibly if I can get a student CS5 extended newer version for my son Tony's use if the ver 5.5 I have won't meet his needs?
Thanks soooo much for any help you can give!!!
Mac and Tony

Re: Joined to help my Autistic son use his Waccom tablet and Photoshop but need help.

Welcome, Mister Mac.

If the4 PS version you have is 5.5 as mentioned in your post, I doubt whether it can support the Cintiq. As for functionality, 5.5 is rather prehistoric?.. lol... I would prefer v7 which I have installed together with CS4.

The Student Edition of CS would be a good choice tho I can't say much about it coz I've never peeked into what's in the Student or limited Editions.

If you can afford, take the latest version (v5) .... a definite quantum leap over 5.5 and packed with the full features.

I hope this helps you and your son. You'll find all the assistance you will need here in this forum. Enjoy your time here.

Best regards.

Re: Joined to help my Autistic son use his Waccom tablet and Photoshop but need help.

The student edition is no different than the non-student. It's exactly the same, except for the cost.

First, I'm new here and not an artist myself but my Autistic son Tony loves to draw. He has been doing so with pencil and paper. I'm trying to get him into using his computer for his drawing and when he saw I scanned some of his drawings and put them on a web site ( tonysimaginationlab dot com ) he was interested to try his drawing on computer. But a regular Wacom digital tablet he couldn't handle. So I saved for a couple years and recently got him a used Wacom Cintiq 12wx which he is able to use.
When using a different program to draw lines they are nice and crisp and smooth. But when he tries to use my very old PS version 5.5, the lines are very harsh and pixulated. I really can't afford the new Photoshop but he wants to use it because alot of the drawings and art and charaters he sees online say they were mostly done in Photoshop, so he wants to use photoshop. Also there seems to be a lot of tutorials and help out there for him to get started using PS.
So here are my first few questions:
1- When he uses PS 5.5, the lines are very rough and pizulated. Wont' the old version make nice smoth lines? if so waht are we doing wrong?
2- Is it really going to be necessary to buy a newer version of PS just to get clean smooth lines?

Thank You very much in advance for any expert assistance yo can give us!
Mac and Tony

Re: Need help for my son to make crisp clean lines using Photoshop with his Wacom tab

Hi Mister Mac.... I'm not in front of PS at the moment.

But you're answer lies in the anti-aliasing checkbox in 5.5's menu - none, smooth, soft, sharp..(if my memory serves me correctly). Select the line tool to see the antialiasing checkbox.

Re: Need help for my son to make crisp clean lines using Photoshop with his Wacom tab

Just so you know, you can download and use a fully functional PS CS5 for 30 days if you go to the Adobe site. Then you'll have a month to save the $200 for the student addition.

Thanks for the quick replies!!
Yes the PS 5.5 version I have is very old, luckily it does work with the Cintiq pad and digitizer pen. But as I said, the lines are very rough. I really can't even afford the student versions I have seen online. I could afford about $150 for a new CS5 version, but is thqat necessary just to make nice clean crisp lines?
I posted a similar request for hlep inthe general forum thinking this thread inthe new introduce yourself wouldn't get looked at. My apologies if I did wrong.

Mac

Just so you know, you can download and use a fully functional PS CS5 for 30 days if you go to the Adobe site. Then you'll have a month to save the $200 for the student addition.

Hawk.... I think this is meant for his first post?

Thanks for the help you two.
I'll try the settings dv8.
Hawkeye, good info about the 30 day trial. if the settings aren't the problem I may have to do that. I jsut didn't want to get him started seeing something (CS5) I couldn't afford later. But you said $200? Where can I get it for $200? I need to check for sure first before getting him started with the trial version. If it's really only $200, yes I can save up and get it for hijm for Christmas.
Mac

Thanks for the quick replies!!
Yes the PS 5.5 version I have is very old, luckily it does work with the Cintiq pad and digitizer pen. But as I said, the lines are very rough. I really can't even afford the student versions I have seen online. I could afford about $150 for a new CS5 version, but is thqat necessary just to make nice clean crisp lines?
I posted a similar request for hlep inthe general forum thinking this thread inthe new introduce yourself wouldn't get looked at. My apologies if I did wrong.

Mac

No apologies needed.

It would be great to see how your son fairs with PhotoShop. You never know....

Hawk.... I think this is meant for his first post?

Just trying to get him the information...and while I'm thinking of it he might try Inkscape if all his son wants to is to draw. Best of all it's absolutely free.

Just trying to get him the information...and while I'm thinking of it he might try Inkscape if all his son wants to is to draw. Best of all it's absolutely free.

I agree.... It may help develop his motorskills in some way.....

Ok lets clear some things up here. Are you looking to actually use photoshop for what it is designed for, Or Please dont take this the wrong way Or are you looking for something to stimulate your autistic son. Something that lets him draw lines shapes and colour it in etc and possibly teaching numbers and spelling to if so then You do not need to splash out on photoshop cs5, You would be better getting Adobe photo elements 10 for about $125 which is basically a more basic version of photoshop but also has some advanced features. It is clearer to look at I should imagine rather than 5.5.
here download the demo and have a play with it and see if it does what you need.
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_elements&loc=en_us

Hawkeye, great suggestion. Inkscape is one of those we tried that made the nice clean crisp lines. Also I downloaded Gimp2 and it makes nice lines. Also the trial version of Flipbook.
But for some reason Tony wants to use Photoshop. When he goes online and sees stuff in Devian Art (think thats the spelling) or on other cartoon character drawing sites, they all mostly say drawn with photoshop. So he really wants Photoshop and because of his situation, it's hard for me to change his mind. So I'll keep trying to figure if this version will work after checking and trying other settings as DV8 mentioned. Or the trial version of CS5 if it doesnt' and if I can get it for the #200 you mentioned. Were you or someone else able to tell me where?
Thank You!!

Sorry was typing when you two replied. My apologies. Got the links. Thank you !
But if I buy a used or opened one, don't I run the risk of having a pirated version or if previously registed and I try won't it see me as trying something strange? I want to make sure it's legal and registered under my name in case I need updates or upgrades in the future right? Am I wrong or worrying too much?
Mac

Sorry was typing when you two replied. My apologies. Got the links. Thank you !
But if I buy a used or opened one, don't I run the risk of having a pirated version or if previously registed and I try won't it see me as trying something strange? I want to make sure it's legal and registered under my name in case I need updates or upgrades in the future right? Am I wrong or worrying too much?
Mac

Good Point.... I've never purchased things like this on e-bay ....

You can try contacting adobe for info on purchasing an older version. They may be able to help out in your case.

Back