What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lines with arrows on Artboard

Were you using the Line Tool to pull the lines? I see you did for the example! But was the same tool performing like you describe?

Were you using one artboard or multiples?

I don't know what Artboards are, so I apologize if I'm butting-in and adding confusion. But I do know one way to make a line wrap as if it's two lines.

• Draw a line on a new layer.
  • The line needs to start at one edge of your image and it needs to extend more than halfway across the full image.
  • The size of the empty gap, where the line does not reach the right edge, defines the eventual spacing of your wrapped line.
1720201999292.png

• Go to Filter>Distort>Shear.
  • Make sure Wrap Around is selected.
  • If your line starts at the left edge, move the Shear curve all the way to the left (like below). If your line starts at the right, move the Shear curve all the way to the right.
1720202548560.png

I did not experiment with arrowheads. Just thinking out loud, my guess is that if your original line has arrowheads at both ends, you'll get the desired result.

Last edited:
@Rich54

Works well on a regular doc, but does not seem to work with an Artboard.

Reg
Screen Shot 2024-07-05 at 1.16.36 PM.png

Artboard
Before
Screen Shot 2024-07-05 at 1.16.50 PM.png

After (shear)
Screen Shot 2024-07-05 at 1.18.58 PM.png

@IamSam,

It turns out that my old CS5 does not have Artboard capability. Artboards came along a few years later. I read a bit about them and they seem to be an elaborate version of a clipping mask, where everything within an artboard is clipped to the artboard's boundaries.

Anyway, there's another Photoshop filter called Offset, which also allows you to wrap a line. If you have a few moments, could you check to see if Offset will work in an artboard?

1720300812944.png

1720300836228.png

Yes, it does work with "Offset"! Quite well I might add. I wonder if the OP was using a keyboard shortcut and an action that utilizes offset? I have keyboard shortcuts that trigger actions when adding lines to artwork. (Thanks @lemorris)

Screen Shot 2024-07-06 at 5.39.47 PM.png

Back