What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would I make this?

101jinx101

These pics were done in photoshop (I think \:] ) how would I go about making these? can anyone duplicate them? if so, tell me how, I would love to learn these effects :D

That one falls into the category of practice and ingenuity. heh. It's possible and actually not that hard to do images like that purely in Photoshop. I would suggest going through some of the tutorials on this very site to get comfortable using photoshop's features as well as just good old fashioned painting techniques.

If there is a specific thing you're having problems with, then post that, but really, it's just a matter of getting used to using Photoshop.

This is one I did years ago, most PSG users have seen this before, but it's the only one I can think of that's similar where I remember the URL. lol :bustagut:
chromepill2.jpg

Not that great, but it is 100% Photoshop.

Hopefully you get the idea. Start with a concept and go from there.

Good luck, post as you go. :)

what no link to a tutorial?

A wha-torial?? [stuned] ;)

The trick with Pseudo-3D stuff is to start simple and work from there. Do some spheres first... then some cylindars... then some pill shapes... each time you take with it some techniques based on the simpler methods you used before. Don't be afraid to use references either. Get a ball and shine a lamp on it... how does the light hit it? Try with something else... compare the surfaces. Just lots and lots of learning how things look. I could write a tutorial on certain aspects... but if I showed how to do an exact image, you'd end up with... that exact image. There are plenty of great tutorials on shiny spheres and such on this site that Mark was kind enough to make. There are some great techniques in those tutorials. Go through those and start trying to see WHY things are done a certain way. That's 20% of the process. The other 80% is practicing all the time. heh.

101jinx101, these kind of images quickly amaze people, but it's not that difficult at all. It's all about using your eyes and some patience. That isn't too hard is it? Of course it helps a bit if you're good with Photoshop.

Even you can make what is shown here, you just have to believe in yourself. Trust me, it's not all that hard as you think.

Important is that you need to be interested to make that kind of stuff and you'll be amazed, serious.

101jinx101, if you want to make realism your ultimate goal, then you're better of with a 3D application.

Also, I've seen people trying to "show of" how good they are with Photoshop, just by showing a realistic object, but if you give give them a simple assignment as, "make a logo", "create an outdoor scene", "create a realistic water tap", "remove this color cast", "extract the hair", "hand paint a face", etc, then suddenly they suddenly come up with the most amateurish results. Don't be amazed that people who are good in one area, have a total lack of composition skills.

Just don't restrict yourself ok? ;)

101 jinx 101...is just jinx o.k.

Anyway, I can give you pointers reguarding the first one. I won't do a step by step simply because of time, but it seems fairly simple. 1st don't get caught up in looking at it as a 3d image. If you can remember to look at it as a 2 dimensional design it's much esier to recreate.

I would begin by recreating the background by drawing simple polygons of varying values. Then on a seperate layer above that background create a sphere by using the circular marqee and hold shift & option as you drag to create a perfect circle begining from the center.

I would look at Marks tuts on pill/gel button creation for the 3d lighting effects for the sphere.

The amoeba like purple blobs can be drawn using paths (drawing many unique ones instead of copy/paste/scale/rotate will of course give a much more interesting look). Giving them depth can be achieved by playing with layer modes, layer order and possibly even color. You may consider running the spherize filter on these objects, but only as a group based on the implied sphere of the original circle you drew and not seperate spherized blobs.

Finally, shadows can again be drawn and given proper layer order. The better you are at drawing realistic shadows, bending on the suggested wall corners, using two light sources of varying strengths the closer your image will resemble the one you posted. You can use gaussian blur to get rid of harsh edges with your shadow.

Hope that helps. Got to ammitt I started to forget what the image looked exactly like as I was typing (I type slooow), but I think this is a good start to help you in your endevor to recreate these images.

PS- When you draw the purple blobs let them extend beyond the border of the sphere. Then after they are all drawn: command+click the sphere layer to select the shape, inverse your selection (under selection menu), and delete. I would do this after you spherize those objects or they will spread right back over the edge of the sphere. Sorry, if you are not using a mac, my command key references were based on macs, but play around...to me there's hardly a difference where photoshop is concerned, just different names on keys (please no comments from die hard supporters of either platforms...can't we all just get along). Anyway, good luck, have fun! [excited]

3[ You will be a guru. Resistance is futile.

No need to read all the Photoshop tutorials on the net that are related to realism, many of them are incomplete, incorrect or very frustrating in my opinion.

Just use your eyes jinx. Take for example your first image, analyze what you see. It shouldn't be hard for anyone who knows the basics of Photoshop to duplicate this one, even if the texture would look slightly different. Simple... just copy what you see, that's all, nothing more. Try to figure out what the basic elements are and use that as a start.

Please try it, make it a challenge and be amazed what you've learned by copying this object. Grab any household object and make in Photoshop what you see with your own eyes.

After a while you can even make a lot of this stuff yourself without having an example in front of you. But if you think, "I can't do it", then you will never be able to do it, simple as that. ;)

Hey, I know the second image!
It was done with a Renderman compliant renderer as a part of an SL tutorial.
Not sure if I can find a link, though.

I'm not sure if the first one is a part of the same tutorial, but I do know that it was done with 3d program. The "noise with a spike" trick in unmistakable.

Stroker said:
I'm not sure if the first one is a part of the same tutorial, but I do know that it was done with 3d program. The "noise with a spike" trick in unmistakable.
Exactly and not only that, look at the sphere and its edges, notice the polygons, above all in its shadow. [innocent]

Back