What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Skittleize a picture??

Marct85

image.jpgimage.jpg

I basically need to skittleize a very very large picture.

A skittle is 40 pixels

so far I've turned the photo into a mosaic with pixels the size of skittles. I then applied a circle pattern with circles the size of skittles. Seen in the attached picture of a woman's face.(example I pulled off the internet)

Now I need to replace the colors in the photo with skittles colors only.(like the Lebron picture I've attached.) I have 10 different colors of skittles.

I've tried playing with the indexed color tool but it won't seem to work...

Hi M85, believe it or not, but I have encountered a similar situation as this problem before. The solution I came up with is very involved and somewhat complicated and I'm certain that there should be an easier way. So I'm going to hold out and give this thread some time before I throw my hat in the ring!

Be patient, as I'm sure you will receive some suggestions and hopefully we will both learn something.

Here's a preview, I just need to do it with the Skittle colors...
Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 10.08.36 PM.png

Last edited:
I don't.. I figured as long as the colors are close I can get a good idea of how it would look. Ultimately the photo will be covered with real skittles...

I have 10 colors

Blue
light blue
green
light green
purple
red
orange
yellow
Dark pink or Dark magenta
white

..Ultimately the photo will be covered with real skittles...

Very cool! While we're waiting for other replies, I will throw together a tutorial on the technique I'm using. It will probably have to be a video tut.

All i takes is a small fortune in Skittles and a lot of patience... lol...

This is a good challenge. Let's see what I can come with.........

View attachment 42594View attachment 42595

I basically need to skittleize a very very large picture.

A skittle is 40 pixels

so far I've turned the photo into a mosaic with pixels the size of skittles. I then applied a circle pattern with circles the size of skittles. Seen in the attached picture of a woman's face.(example I pulled off the internet)

Now I need to replace the colors in the photo with skittles colors only.(like the Lebron picture I've attached.) I have 10 different colors of skittles.

I've tried playing with the indexed color tool but it won't seem to work...

I thought the thread might get more views here in the GPB.

I have 10,666 skittles ready to go as soon as I get this designed in Photoshop. Once I get started, I'll post pictures in this thread of the progress.

lol... looks like Sam and I are on the same page on the idea.....

But needs a bit more playing around with skittles....:mrgreen:... or PSG smileys.... :eek:

JackSkittles.jpg

But you can use something like this as a preliminary guide. Like what the guy who did the Zimmerman Skittles image......

width 3168
length 5184

I'm just as far as both you and Sam on my photo. Because the picture is so large (44in x 72in) its tough to visualize how the skittles will be laid out. I wanted to see exactly how it would look in skittles colors so I can make easier adjustments in Photoshop. Also the picture would basically be mapped out on a grid so I would be able to use the Photoshop document as a guide and attach the skittles way quicker.

I feel like I somehow need to convert the picture to 10 colors. Then select each color and fill it with the corresponding skittle color. I don't know how to do that and make it look like the photo below... I wouldn't have thought that you could throw in blues next to oranges and whites and greens and get a shading effect.

This guy used sprinkles.

beagle full.jpgdog zoomed.jpg

Checked it out. I've pretty much done the same already. I'm trying to take it a step further by changing the colors in the picture. I need an easy way. The problem is taking a photo with 200 different shades and bringing it down to 10 shades. zimmerman.jpgskittle-jokeropti.jpg

Resize your image 40 times down with Bicubic Sharper mode.
Turn it to
Index mode with your skittles pallete.
Turn it back to RGB.
Resize image back 40 times up with Nearest Neighbor mode.
Add dots mask, Bevel Emboss Style, Drop Shadow, etc...

Last edited:
OK, here's my image after about 4.4 hours of work this morning! I'm not sure how or even IF I can make a tutorial on this technique! It would take me a week to edit a video tut and a written would be impossible!

I can summarize the technique in a written, but it would leave a lot of steps assuming you (M85) would know how to do them.

I hope someone can offer an easier way and demonstrate it with a tutorial!

Five basic color of Skittles!
JessicaAlbaSkittle_01.jpg

Resize your image 40 times down with Bicubic Sharper mode.
Turn it to
Index mode with your skittles pallete.
Turn it back to RGB.
Resize image back 40 times up with Nearest Neighbor mode.
Add dots mask, Bevel Emboss Style, Drop Shadow, etc...

Followed your steps and I think your on to something here. I'm getting caught up with index mode. When I apply index mode the colors aren't mixed up enough as in the beagle picture I posted above...

example.jpg

Where are the reds, dark blues, and greens... Seems like the colors could be mixed more. It loses a ton of detail when I use index mode. hmm...

OK, here's my image after about 4.4 hours of work this morning! I'm not sure how or even IF I can make a tutorial on this technique! It would take me a week to edit a video tut and a written would be impossible!

I can summarize the technique in a written, but it would leave a lot of steps assuming you (M85) would know how to do them.

I hope someone can offer an easier way and demonstrate it with a tutorial!

Five basic color of Skittles!
View attachment 42622

That is awesome. I'm guessing there was a lot of manually selecting each skittle and changing color? I could do something similar but it would also take a ton of time (as did yours) and I figured there was some kind of method I could use on photoshop that would do more of the color selecting and replacing for me.

I was thinking to use posterize or convert the image to something like the Obama HOPE poster using each color to blend into a skittle group.

But this depends on how much detail and color shadings there are in the OP's image. In the dog image, adding NOISE might help in the shading. After all, the image is huge and a dot might be the size of a skittle..

Not an easy task here considering this art form is done entirely by hand tho an image template has to be created.... Like what may have been used for the Zimmerman image uploaded by OP in Post#15. Even the Joker poster may have been posterized with at least 5 colors....

Back