What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to make my ribbons look like these

I presume you mean the many layer effects.

This uses multiple layers.

First the background picture.
Second, make a color layer with any tool such as the marquee tool on one end. Fill this square

with a darker color blue and set to color blend mode, or experiment with another blend mode such

as multiply, and play with the opacity of the layer. Copy this layer and move that one over to

the other end. Hold shift as you do so to keep it straight.
Next, make the layer with your graphs.
Finally, add the text layers.

If you need a visual of each of these steps, let me know and I will make one for you.

Sorry for the time lapse. I've been out all day, but I will get them to you. I always take into account that we are visual artists and sometimes reading doesn't quite make it. You should see me try to assemble something with just instructions, no visuals. It took me three times longer than the average bear (carpenter, guy type usually) to get my last easel put together, lol.

I hope this makes sense. If you get hung up anywhere, just post the question and I or one of our members will explain in greater detail. It was difficult for me to keep each screen shot and explanation correct, but I hope I did it so you can follow.

Ah see, in slide 5, I forgot to say I set the blend mode to multiply and opacity to 50%.

Another one. In slide 8, the paragraph panel option you will make is the capital A over capital A. Set this to a larger size than the text you are using. Just experiment if this is your first time using this panel.

Warriors1.jpg
Warriors2.jpg
Warriors3.jpg
Warriors4.jpg
Warriors5.jpg
Warriors6.jpg
Warriors7.jpg
Warriors8.jpg
Warriors9.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't follow the text, paragraph spacing, selection, font and color change, etc.; especially how to use the text paragraph panel, you should take a tutorial first. Otherwise, you will get all balled up. Believe me. You need to understand terminology, symbols, etc.

Here is one you might like. Or just google Photoshop type tutorials.

Here is one that discusses the character panel as I suggested you learn.

Last edited:
This is how I did it........

I started with small rounded rectangle that I created with the Rounded Rectangle Tool set to shape. I turned off the fill ans set the stroke to 2px.
I added a gradient going from the right to the left.
I then added a highlight that I blurred slightly. This is on it's own transparent layer.

For the sake of visibility, I put in on a gray BG so you can see the highlight.

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.48.03 AM.png

I then duplicated this and repositioned the duplicates with the Move Tool like this... These are on a white BG but the highlight is still there.

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.42.55 AM.png

I highlighted all the duplicates and merged them. I then made a duplicate of the merged layer and moved it. I repeated the process until I went all the way across.

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.43.39 AM.png

I then duplicated the above layer several times and moved them down. (Here you can use a step and repeat as well.)

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.44.01 AM.png

So forth an so on until I made the entire ribbon grid.......when I was done I merged all the duplicates into one.

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.44.35 AM.png

Since the ribbon grid is transparent, any layer below it will show through.
On a new layer below the ribbon grid, I used the Rectangular Marquee Tool to make a rectangle which I filled with blue.
Did the same with the white and yellow which I then made a duplicate and moved them into place.

I also placed a new layer above the grid and added the shading.

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.44.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 8.24.45 AM.png

It's not exact, but you get the picture. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Sam. It looks like I have missed the point of the question. I didn't understand the term "ribbon," as opposed to the entire banner, lol. Glad you did.

Awesome thats pretty close iAmSam! i think they might of added a drop shadow or more shading on the bottom of theirs,but thats really close thanks for the idea!

Clare said:
Thanks Sam. It looks like I have missed the point of the question. I didn't understand the term "ribbon," as opposed to the entire banner, lol. Glad you did.
Clare I wasn't sure either! I had started the tutorial and got sidetracked, then you posted yours........I thought I would add mine just so we had the bases covered.

lipwound said:
Awesome thats pretty close iAmSam! i think they might of added a drop shadow or more shading on the bottom of theirs,but thats really close thanks for the idea!
No, there's no drop shadow at all. As you said, their shading may be a little darker. Your welcome for the idea, but someone else may have a better one!

lipwound said:
or they could of used a corduroy fabric pattern i just didnt find one that looked like that
It may be, keep us posted on your progress.

Back