What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Do this attached image effect?

zoe20

Power User
How to Do this attached image effect? i really like this effect as i can manually do it using distort and skew option and masking.Is it like graphic river automated one ? if it so what it should be called this effect? Gurus any idea please ?

Cheers & Regards
Zoe

effect.JPG

Hey Zoe, I'm going to give this a shot...........

Open the image you wish to create the cascading photo collage effect on.

On a new layer, use your Pen Tool to create a perspective line for your cascading photo collage to follow. Your going to turn this off when done.
Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.06.31 PM.png

On a new layer, use your Pen Tool to create a photo outline that has perspective. When done, right click and choose make a selection.
Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.06.55 PM.png

Fill this selection with white.
Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.07.19 PM.png

With the selection still active, go to SELECT > MODIFY > REDUCE, enter 12 pixels, hit OK.
note: Remember that the reduction will get smaller in perspective, so the next time you do this enter 10 pixels.

Create a new layer
and fill the reduced selection with black.
Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.07.34 PM.png

Now we have to add a image to our faux photo we just created.
Open the image (beach) you would like to go in this faux photo.
Place it above the black layer we just created.

Hit Command + T to enter free transform, right click and choose distort.
Dragging with your mouse, place the corners of the image (beach) to match the faux photo. Hit OK or enter to accept the state change.
note: You could also use Warp to generate a curve in the image (beach) to match the curve of the faux photo.
Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.08.47 PM.png

Now clip the photo to the black layer. and your done.....with this one!
Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.09.06 PM.png

Now do the same thing for the rest!
Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.09.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.34.10 PM.png

If you make it this far, I will demonstrate how to add shading, shadows and motion blur!

Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 11.01.46 PM.png

Last edited:
I guess I've lost my way.

Am I in the wrong by providing instruction to these types of posts so that the OP can learn how to do it for themselves?

This is a serious question because I will stop wasting my time trying to provide step by step tutorials!

(This is nothing against you Spruce, it's a legitimate question.)

You should carry on, but some people learn in different ways, so giving something they can physically play with and dissect may be just as helpful. I learned how to use smart objects by playing with templates just like this.

Last edited:
Sam, my opinion is that the tutorials you provide are astonishingly good both in terms of focus and clarity of presentation.

If I were in the process of learning PS techniques, your tutorials would be exactly what I was looking for, and I would be forever grateful for all the time you selflessly put in. It would be like having a free personal tutor. I regard you (and your tutorials) as exactly analogous to what the best instructors in academia should all be doing.

In addition, your tutorials will be useful well into the future when the current visitor is long gone, but future visitors may be looking for similar help and we can point them to your posts. My hat is off to you. I wish I had the time to do what you have been doing.

That being said, as you well know, many "drive-by" visitors to PSG only are here because they want some work done for them, and they will do everything they can to avoid learning anything about PS, even if they say otherwise. For folks like that, you might as well be talking to yourself, except for the fact that the value of your tutorials lives on after the OP on the current thread disappears.

There will also be intermediate cases -- people who may know a little PS, are willing to do a bit of work, but aren't really interested in becoming a PS expert. For people like this, I think Spruce's template response would be quite attractive.

I clearly am biased and strongly favor your approach, but I can also see the value Spruce provided to this other class of people. I think both approaches are valid.

Thank you again, Sam.

Tom

PS - I just saw Spruce's comments on other methods of learning. That is another very good point in favor of the existence of both types of help.

Sam if you stop with the tuts mate, i will stagnate. And Spruce with his quick fire giveaways as mentioned both very valid and both very giving and from that members will learn at their own pace, as will the zombies, (zombies are the 'members' who do not post but look and learn).

Thanks guys for your responses.

Just so you know, I'm not looking for validation as much as I was genuinely concerned that maybe my approach was a bit to detailed and perhaps I should just replicate the technique being inquired about by the OP and just post a psd file instead of going to the trouble of a step by step explanation. I often look at other posts and say, "Well that would have been much easier!".

As I recall from my early learning stages, like Spruce stated, sometimes just looking at a layer stack was easier for me to understand the technique than the tutorial itself. This is part of the reason why I try to include a screen shot of the layers panel in my tuts. However, I do believe that there can be a lot going on between layers that require some explanation.

I also worry that I'm wrongly judging the level of Photoshop proficiency of the OP.

So, I will continue with my tuts because I enjoy making them. They are therapeutic for me and provide me with a fix when I'm between projects. I am an addict after all!

A good tutorial is supposed to be thoroughly step by step. Another advantage to thorough detailed instructions is that it gives the truly interested and hooked on Photoshop reader the opportunity to experiment - to dv8 from what is already presented in writing. Only then will they truly learn and appreciate the beauty of Photoshop.

It's true tho that a casual or first time user may not comprehend the process. They don't have the basic working knowledge of PS. Most of them seeking for help will not put extra effort in dissecting your psd's or give thought to the layer views. They may not even know what to expect or what to do with a template or psd file. For them, you may have to simplify as much as you can for them to grasp the idea.

If the OP doesn't understand the terminology or procedures, you have to make it a point to help them through it. That is the one thing that Youtube videos lack...... and the advantage of being here in the forum - human interaction - the one on one factor.

So don't you dare stop writing your excellent tutorials. Or I'll have the Queen Bee sting you....... and lizards creeping all over you as you sleep.

Back