What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you convert only a certain part of a color photo to black and white?

swiMusicLife21

Hi! I'm totally new to Photoshop and I was wondering if there was any way to get only part of a color photo black and white but keep the rest of it in color. I want to highlight some people in my pictures.

Thanks!

Like most things in PS there are many ways to do the same thing. The easiest way for someone totally new is to use one of the selection tools in the Tool palette on the left border of PS and, once you've selected the part of the image you want black and while, go to Image>Adjustments and pick Desaturate.

Another very easy way is to paint with either the default black or white set to color mode.
It will convert any painted area to BW.

Lasa

I'm assuming that you know how to duplicate the current layer of your picture.

Thus, go to image>adjustments>desaturate the current layer. Use the eraser to rub off the part that you don't want the B&W, thus reveal the bottom color layer.

You could select the area to change to B&W and right mouse click, save via copy and then select the copy and desaturate it (shift+ctrl+u)

Back