What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Needed Regarding Newer PSD Files

Moviefan2k4

Hey, all.

I know its been a short while since I was here last, but I just haven't had much to showcase in the past few months. I've run into a small problem though, and I could use some help from anyone so inclined.

As some of you may know, I like to make DVD and Blu-Ray covers as a hobby. Well, those projects usually start with finding a suitable template, and then adding my own elements as needed. Until now, I didn't have much trouble...but I recently downloaded some templates for the 4K UHD design, and they won't open at all in Photoshop CS2 - I'm guessing their creators were using a newer version of the program. So if anyone can somehow reformat these files for proper compatibility, I'd appreciate it. I zipped them all up and placed them in my MediaFire account; here's the link. Thanks again, to anyone who can help.

Hey, all.

I know its been a short while since I was here last, but I just haven't had much to showcase in the past few months. I've run into a small problem though, and I could use some help from anyone so inclined.

As some of you may know, I like to make DVD and Blu-Ray covers as a hobby. Well, those projects usually start with finding a suitable template, and then adding my own elements as needed. Until now, I didn't have much trouble...but I recently downloaded some templates for the 4K UHD design, and they won't open at all in Photoshop CS2 - I'm guessing their creators were using a newer version of the program. So if anyone can somehow reformat these files for proper compatibility, I'd appreciate it. I zipped them all up and placed them in my MediaFire account; here's the link. Thanks again, to anyone who can help.

I downloaded your Zip file and opened each of them in my 2024 Photoshop V 25.9.0. No problem with each of the PSDs.
No idea as to why they won't open in Photoshop 2. It should be OK with PSDs.

I downloaded your Zip file and opened each of them in my 2024 Photoshop V 25.9.0. No problem with each of the PSDs.
No idea as to why they won't open in Photoshop 2. It should be OK with PSDs.
Well, my copy of the software is version 9, aka "CS2", originally released in 2005. The templates in that file were originally posted on the CustoManiacs website earlier this year. When I tried opening them, all I got was a bunch of warnings saying that the data couldn't be read, and that the file was not compatible with CS2. So I'm clueless about all of this.

Maybe this works...

Thanks. I've been able to work my way around some of the layers, but a lot of the data is still being stubborn. I'm having to do things like rasterizing smart objects and such, because otherwise the program won't let me do anything with them.

I found three more 4K UHD templates from another website, that must have been created again in a Photoshop version beyond CS2. If anyone could reverse-engineer these again so they work for me, I'd appreciate it.

Which layers exactly can you not edit in which file?

Please provide a precise list, because it is extremely time-consuming to check file by file, smartobject by smartobject, layer by layer, layer style by layer style, etc.

If it concerns text layers, then also link the missing fonts

I found three more 4K UHD templates from another website, that must have been created again in a Photoshop version beyond CS2. If anyone could reverse-engineer these again so they work for me, I'd appreciate it.

Which layers exactly can you not edit in which file?

Please provide a precise list, because it is extremely time-consuming to check file by file, smartobject by smartobject, layer by layer, layer style by layer style, etc.

If it concerns text layers, then also link the missing fonts
I think you're misunderstanding me. I can't open the files at all, because they were created in a version of Photoshop that's far more advanced compared to what I'm using. My original post in June was about the same thing, and you're the one who was able to make them backward compatible for me. I'm just asking for the same help over again.

Back