What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Enhance face/shoulders image in PNG file b/w

RogW

Thanks to the University of Iowa I have received a new "modern" scan (from original hard copy archive) of Dr R T Jupp founder of UK film/cinema industry. I would like to see the picture enhanced so that it looks like a modern passport shaped image if possible so he can proudly fit into my story of him. His photographs are very rare and if can be made better looking will be presented to the studio. Thank you to everyone looking at my request. Roger

KIC Image 0002.png

Here's another shot at this with a very different approach

What I've tried to do is to clean this up by cloning halftone to halftone while attempting to properly orient the spacing. The source is poor but there is significant improvement I think. At this stage maybe someone else can descreen this more accurately. Hint-hint John... (or anyone else)

If anyone wants to use this feel free. If you need it larger and want to preserve the patterns use an even multiple and 'nearest neighbor' resampling. Maybe do a levels adjustment while keeping the end points

Dr R T Jupp_5.jpg

Last edited:
So how do you do this? Its enough to make me weep.
I try various methods and it looks like I'm throwing mud at it. Some sort of Fortier transform I presume but without a post doctorate and a super computer... How??? Are there any user friendly plugins out there?

Bruce
Didn't get into the FT with this one Bruce. Instead, I started with applying (with masks) one or two of the RGB channels to increase the lightness in the shadowed areas, then onto reducing the noise with Topaz Denoise AI (again applied with masks of course), various adjustments with curves and levels for contrast, etc. I'm sure that there are more effective (and quicker) method for the noise but I was too lazy to research it properly and instead, went with the basics.

The approach worked but I prefer your final product much more. Well done.

Gary

I am totally speechless!! To see the trail of conversation and understand (a little) the logic, to then see such a great end result. You have all now helped return Doctor Jupp (literally from out of the shadows) - so grateful for everyone's hard work and assistance - Roger

Back