What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Photoshop Product for a beginner.

salma

Hello,
This is my first time here, friendly forums indeed:)

I have no knowledge of photo editing at all, I am a quick learner though.
I am working now on remake of one of my favorite game of all time, (Shivers).
Its a point and click sierra adventure game, I want to remake some parts of the game in a panorama view.
So, what is the best Photoshop product for me?

I want a product that is:

1- not extremely hard to learn
2- gives a wide range of photo editing options
3-can be used to stitch photos and create panoramic views
4-enables me to distribute my finished work with out having to pay extra $$$ for license.

Mainly it's photo editing and panorama that's I am interested in.
So, what program do you recommend me to buy? Adobe Photoshop CS, or Photoshop elements?

Thank you,

salma said:
I have no knowledge of photo editing at all, I am a quick learner though.
I am working now on remake of one of my favorite game of all time, (Shivers).

You know, I think I still have that cd here somewhere... don't think I ever beat it. The weird cartoon monsters dropped over the photo realistic sets always came off as a weird choice.

1- not extremely hard to learn

That really depends on you. I never found Photoshop hard to learn, I actually have more problems sitting down at things like elements because it tries to do some things for you and you don't have control over them, but that's primarily because I've used Photoshop for so long. There is a lot of information included with the program in the forum of manuals / help files and there is a ton of information ranging from ultra-beginner to ultra-advanced both online and in traditional print. So if you're willing to put in the effort, I don't think you'll have a problem learning either.

2- gives a wide range of photo editing options

This is where Photoshop is going to pull ahead. Elements is a really good program, especially for the difference in money, but if you want power you're going to need to get the real deal. Photoshop has a lot of important features that are missing from Elements that you might want access to.

3-can be used to stitch photos and create panoramic views

Either will do. In fact there are lots of non-photoshop programs that will do this for cheaper if not free.

4-enables me to distribute my finished work with out having to pay extra $$$ for license.

You lost me on this one. When you buy a piece of editing software, it doesn't have anything to do with how you distribute the files. The licensing fees for the file formats are built into the price of the software. That won't free you from having to get permission or possibly pay licensing fees to Sierra for working on their game, since that isn't at all related to what software you use... but as far as distributing files... there is no additional fees for file distribution once you save them out that are associated with the documents or the software.

Mainly it's photo editing and panorama that's I am interested in.

It really depends on what specifically you need to do. There are free trials of most software available from companies these days, I know Adobe has 30 day free trials of their apps. Maybe you should download those and see which one you like better and which has the features you need.

So, what program do you recommend me to buy? Adobe Photoshop CS, or Photoshop elements?

Photoshop is better than Elements. Period. But it's more complex (with more control though) and it's about ten times the price of Elements.

Hope that helps. Welcome to PSG. :)

If you're just learning then get Photoshop ELements. Period. I spend two years using that program before going to full blown PS and it was a great learning experience. Besides, many folks never get beyond needing anything more than Elements. I have two friends who are amateur photographers and got Photoshop CS and both wish now they had just gotten Elements because of the cost savings and they do not use all the additional controls PS offers. Play it safe and walk before you learn to run. ;)

MindBender said:
You know, I think I still have that cd here somewhere...

Let me remind you of shivers, it's a story about a crazy professor who's obsessed with the horror stories of ancient civilizations.
He opened the (strange and unusual museum) in a remote town, then disappeared inside it, never to be seen again.
You see the story is interesting, I loved the game so much with it's beautiful art work and engaging play.

MindBender said:
I actually have more problems sitting down at things like elements because it tries to do some things for you and you don't have control over them

Actually, that's exactly what I want, I want a program that can spare me the details :)

MindBender said:
You lost me on this one. When you buy a piece of editing software, it doesn't have anything to do with how you distribute the files. The licensing fees for the file formats are built into the price of the software.

I thought Photoshop is like 3dmax, the price differs between a copy bought for a commercial use, and a copy bough for personal or non commercial use.
As for Sierra, the makers of the game said in a Sierra forum that it's ok if a fan wanted to make a third Shivers game, as long as the game is free.

MindBender said:
Photoshop is better than Elements. Period. But it's more complex (with more control though) and it's about ten times the price of Elements.

Then i think its going to be Elements for me :)

You realy helped alot, thank you 8))
Slama

Lee said:
many folks never get beyond needing anything more than Elements.

Exactly what i hoped to hear :)
Elements is alot cheaper than PS, i just wanted to be sure that i willn't regret buying it later.

Take care

salma

salma said:
I thought Photoshop is like 3dmax, the price differs between a copy bought for a commercial use, and a copy bough for personal or non commercial use.

Well... they offer "educational discounts"... which would make Photoshop about $250-300 instead of $1000.

There are other alternatives to Photoshop you might consider also. Some of which are free.

Paintshop Pro is a really popular program which only costs about $60USD or so.
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1155872554948

If you'll be doing any vector work, Xara has some nice programs.
http://www.xara.com/

For free powerful image editing you might check out one of the iterations of GIMP, it's available on all platforms (there is also a modification called GiMPshop that is supposed to make the windows and menus look more like Photoshop for long time PS users)
http://www.gimp.org

If you want to do vectors for free check out InkScape
http://www.inkscape.org

It sounds to me like you will only be doing minor things with your raster program, so Elements will probably server you fine, it's certainly come a long way.

I would consider what you want to pay and what features you want and almost any commercial software will have a 30 day trial demo download of their application, so if you have the means why not grab them all and compare them in action to see which you like best?

Hope that helps. Good luck. I'd love to see when you finish your game. :)

Back