What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Achieving a similar (but more complex) effect to this YouTube video?

Geelvis

I watched this instructional video and I'd like to achieve a similar effect but would like to achieve more compact packing of the dots? Do you have any idea as to how to achieve this?

1723653117733.png

Hello.

I have a grey background for contrast, do not have a background.......make sure it's transparent!!!

Set up your guides and create a a 60 px circle with the Rectangle Tool
Duplicate until you have 7 copies.
Position the copies.
Screen Shot 2024-08-14 at 12.59.26 PM.png

Highlight the copies and merge.
Invert the circles. (EDIT: Don't do this step! The circles should be left white!)
Rasterize the layer.

Make a selection with your Rectangular Marquis Tool
Screen Shot 2024-08-14 at 1.00.16 PM.png

Hit Cmd + I to invert the selection.
Hit delete.
Screen Shot 2024-08-14 at 1.00.41 PM.png

Hit Cmd + D to deselect.
This is what it should look like without the grey background!
Screen Shot 2024-08-14 at 1.00.54 PM.png

Go to IMAGE > TRIM
Screen Shot 2024-08-14 at 1.01.07 PM.png

Trim transparent pixels.
Screen Shot 2024-08-14 at 1.01.16 PM.png

Should look like this.
Screen Shot 2024-08-14 at 1.12.30 PM.png

(EDIT: You can inverse these to make them white again!)
Go to EDIT > DEFINE BRUSH PRESET
Name it and save.

This should give you the tight pattern you're looking for.

I did a lot of experimentation with this and eventually landed on exactly what @IamSam describes above. However, by making the dots more compact, it throws off the geometry of the original tutorial.

The tutorial takes great pains to make the dots the same pixel size as what was used in the Pixelate>Mosaic command. The reason for that is because the Pixelate command forces each square mosaic tile to be one pure color. When the round dots are exactly the same size and spacing, then each dot exactly matches-up to each mosaic tile, and each dot becomes one pure color.

But... when you change the dot pattern to be tighter, the spacing of each dot is still 60 pixels apart in the horizontal direction, but less than 60 pixels apart in the vertical direction. You can see this in the mock-up I made below. On the left, the dots fit perfectly into a square. But on the right, there is a gap at the bottom where the dots no longer fill the square because they are spaced tighter. This means that the new, compacted dot pattern will no longer exactly coincide with the 60-pixel mosaic pixelation. Any individual dot will no longer be one pure color.

I'm still thinking about this, but I believe that it is geometrically impossible to simultaneously tighten the dot pattern while keeping each dot as a pure color.

1723663515625.png

but I believe that it is geometrically impossible to simultaneously tighten the dot pattern while keeping each dot as a pure color.
I agree, at least as it pertains to this tutorial.

Thanks guys, but as I should have mentioned (and both of you have realized), the difficulty I'm having is with correctly formatting the underlying image. The issue goes even deeper than described by Rich 54 above.

1723705172989.png

While the offset indicated in blue is an issue, it could be dealt with by slicing the image into rows and offsetting every second one. The bigger issue is the offset indicated by the pink lines. I believe this makes it impossible to achieve this effect ussing the mosaic filter and it would either need to be achieved through another method entirely or built in code.

Yes exactly! What a champion. How did you do it?

OK....this may not be the best approach but it's consistent with the video tutorial.

I used offset dot patterns and two image layers per the tutorial. I think you can do this using one dot as long as it's offset. I just used two to see if it would work.

When you get to the part where you create the corresponding dots, you need to use offset dots.

These are my dots (made just like my tutorial above). The red arrow indicates center.
I stacked two above center and two below for spacing and for placing the guide lines.
I turned off the dot layers I didn't need when making the pattern preset.
Screen Shot 2024-08-15 at 10.47.37 AM.png

For Pattern 1, I offset the the dots and made the selection using the Rectangular Marquis Tool.
No need to trim anything, just make a selection and create a pattern preset.
Screen Shot 2024-08-15 at 10.48.48 AM.png

For Pattern 2, make the second dot pattern like this.
Save as pattern preset.
Screen Shot 2024-08-15 at 10.49.31 AM.png

Per the tutorial, I just made two SO images with Smart Mosaic filter, and a filled layer mask. Pattern 1 for one image and Pattern 2 for the other.
I then selected the top layer mask and used the Move Tool to move the dots!
Screen Shot 2024-08-15 at 10.51.22 AM.png

Your image will look like this and will have to be slightly cropped.
Screen Shot 2024-08-15 at 2.45.47 PM.png

OK....this may not be the best approach but it's consistent with the video tutorial.

I used offset dot patterns and two image layers per the tutorial. I think you can do this using one dot as long as it's offset. I just used two t see if it would work.

When you get to the part where you create the corresponding dots, you need to use offset dots.

These are my dots (made just like my tutorial above). The red arrow indicates center.
View attachment 146431

For Pattern 1, I offset the the dots and made the selection.
No need to trim anything, just make a selection and create a pattern preset.
View attachment 146432

Make the second dot pattern like this...
View attachment 146433

Per the tutorial, I just made two SO images with Smart Mosaic filter, and a filled layer mask. Pattern 1 for one image and pattern 2 for the other.
I then selected the top layer mask and used the Move Tool to move the dots!
View attachment 146434

Your image will look like this an will have to be slightly cropped.
View attachment 146435
Amazing, thank you so much. This is perfect. It's almost midnight now and I got to get to bed. But I'll implement this tomorrow.

You're welcome! Hope it works for you!
Your method was pretty easy to implement, thanks. However, I only noticed when implementing it that there is a tiny vertical gap between each row. I would like to use this to map images and stack then with cylinders in the real world. The tiny gap is going to cause the vertical scale to be squashed during execution. I think I may have a workaround, will report back if it works out.

However, I only noticed when implementing it that there is a tiny vertical gap between each row.
You will have to adjust the gap out when you create the dot pattern for the layer mask. May take some experimentation.

You can ask @MarshySwamp if he can write you a script.

Theoretically, you could work with selections to which you apply the Average filter.But you could also work with the Mosaic filter as before, but move the image not only horizontally but also vertically every second line (depending on the desired Mosaic/Dot size) - it's simple mathematics.

I scripted this years ago for a hexgrid - so it should also work with dots (same basis)

Back