What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black paint overlap

ricfields

Hello out there,
I've been running Photoshop with little or no problems for a few years, now, and have come across an issue which is pretty frustrating. I'll try to describe it as succinctly as possible: when I paint and don't release the mouse, there's no problem. If I use the same layer and fill in with an object using more than one click, the overlap turns black. I use 100% opacity and Multiply. These hadn't been a problem before, but many of the forums suggest some adjustment to either or both. My work-around is to cover the area with the desired color and layer with one click and go back to erase what isn't supposed to be there. It's pretty time consuming. I tried restarting my computer, creating new layers to see if a new layer would fix it. Nothing works so far. Anyone else out there who's run into this?
Thanks,
Ric

Is it possible you can supply us an image - or part of - to give us a visual?
Note - try not to erase - use masking...

Hi, @rickfields. I agree with @JeffK that an example image of the problem often helps forum members help you.

There are several ways in which this problem can occur. It can occur if the hardness of the brush is not at 100%

Several settings can cause this in the brush settings panel.
If changing the brush hardness does not help, I first suggest resetting the tool. The following image shows how to do that. With the Brush tool selected (not a variant of the brush tool), use the dropdown next to the tool in the Tool Options bar and in the dropdown click on the gear. The dropdown shows a reset option.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 10.51.36 PM.jpg

If that does not solve your problem you can reset Photoshop Preferences/Settings which often clears up many issues. How to reset Preferences/Settings depends on you PS version and can be looked up with Google or just add a question to this thread with your PS version and a forum member can direct you to the details.

Hope this helps some
John Wheeler

Here's a small portion of the drawing with willow green brushed over another section of willow green. The layer is the same, which is how the overlap of the two brushes creates a black area.

Click to enlarge.
Photo problem.png

Attachments

• Photo problem.pdf
    404.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for this image. The problem does not make any sense to me as it relates to mouse clicks that you have described..........AND if you are using the same brush, color, blending option while working on the same layer! If this is true, then you need to try Johns ideas of resetting the tool or resetting Ps prefs.

Without seeing your layer structure I can't tell you exactly what's happening here, but I've had this happen before and it was a layer problem for me. Try turning off all layers above and below, one by one, except that one layer and see what happens. My guess (and hope) is that you will find another layer causing the issue. It may be related to a blending option.

Back