What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the function of the Bridge?

yoda007

I have a plank question to ask but am a bit fuzzy on the function of the Brigde in Adobe -when/why would you use it - or is this question way too broad and vague to answer?

Please advise...:question::question:

yep was not too sure with CS5 seems that InDesign can accept photoshop & Illustrator files - so one would put files on the bridge and save them in different formats to make them more compatible? I am sad to admit that I have never utilized the Bridge even though I have had it for a long time...I will do some more research on it and read up on it's function so I can finally not be intimidated by it and use it so it can help me....thanks

Bridge is a program that helps with editing photographs. It also helps sort them and do actions on batches, such as exposures. It has great controls over setting exposure, blacks and brights, sharpening and masking. It has a few tools in addition, like red-eye correction and horizon straightening. Noting intimidating. It's a very cool place to start photos before you take them into PS for more editing or playing around. You can use RAW format or any jpeg. Give it a look. Find a tutorial that will walk you through it. Lynda.com has an excellent one, but it is a subscription site. Looks like Paul provided a link.

Maybe so clare, but they seem to forget where the thank you button is?

Like It has been said Bridge is really designed to Bridge programs together and preview files. yes you have basic editng features built in but I honestly have never used any of them other than using it to open up my camera raw files if that counts.

That Said I love bridge it lets me easily view what my vector files look like if I am looking for a certain bit of vector graphics to import directly into photoshop. And other programs for that matter except after effects shame you cant get a mini preview of your project files etc as I am always just saving things as untitled 1 etc .

HOwever I am dissapointed that Adobe have not thought about the ability of Bridge beeing a basic tool for viewing ABR files, ASI or CSH wouldn't that make so much sense. You use Bridge to preview your raw files your cross platform documents and yet they cant put in a simple little extension like a brush, pattern custome shape layer style viewer.

If they did that, I might have a chance of labelling all the brushes I have with no name so I know what they are. lol
Maybe one day I'll get it sorted, but I just can't be bothered.

Just download ABR Viewer it lets you take snap shots of your brushes so you can just look at a picture per folder showing you the brush shapes

You would need a circuit for that to happen, but I'm not sure what that has to do with Bridge. Could you be a clever bit of spam. I love clever spam!

they recognise key words and then do a bit of word association with it probably in this case got the bridge from the electronic circuit board style of bridge

Thanks so much ibclare I am already a subscriber to Lynda - will definitely have a look see at one of the tutorials - thanks so much!

Sorry getting the hang of how the whole thread thing works - want to thank everyone for their valuable input! This has been been very helpful!

Bridge is very much under rated and missunderstood.
In essence it is a browser but can do a lot more.
Editing is not possible in Bridge, ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) is a plug-in that can be used from either Bridge or Photoshop, this is where the editing is done (same engine that is used in Lightroom so no comments on one is better than the other).
For people that create a lot of jpgs for the web, there is a fantastic utility in the Export panel "Save to Hard Drive" this can create lightning fast jps from any type of file (so long as you can see a thumbnail) as this utility uses the cached preview or fullsized preview of the document.
You can rate, label and tag your pictures, you can create collections and smart collections.
Come on folks use Bridge it's fantastic!

I'm not a fan of Bridge at all, it always feels to me like an ugly, quickly decorated clunky Christmas tree. The only reason why I use is it because of the thumbnail issue on Windows. I rather prefer the much better Lightroom and for the few things that Lightroom or Photoshop lacks, I quicky open Bridge and leave again as fast as possible. I also don't use Bridge to open Camera Raw, because I can do that in Photoshop instead.

Just my 2 cents.

Back