What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is best way to set up and save for large format printing

quickcope

Not sure how to search for this. I will ask my question. Using PS CS6 need to create at photoshop image to print on a large banner 10' x 12' How should I go about setting up the file...should I create to actual size? should I set up for 72 or 300 DPI? Should I create at a smaller size in order to NOT take up so much hard drive space and then allow printer to enlarge.. and if so how do we NOT get the pixelation when going from small to extremely large? Is there a file that can be save as (PDF.. TIFF) that you can enlarge indefinitely like a EPS?
Thank you.. Cope

First, Check with the sign company or your service bureau for specs like preferred resolution, due dates, material restrictions and file type.

You have to remember that large format prints are meant to be viewed from a distance. And that a large file size will make it difficult for your or your printer's computer to handle.

Illustrator , InDesign or Corel Draw is the best bet to use for small, easy to transfer files and sharp final products because a VECTOR output is much smaller and scale seamlessly without loosing quality. When working with large dimensions, bitmapped images done with Photoshop are going to be enormous (we’re talking maybe 300+ MB). Not to mention the frustration of slow opening of files as well as the likelihood of your computer crashing... lol.

But since you mentioned you'll be using CS......

If your computer can't handle the strain of a full size image, it will be safe to do the work image at half the size and at 150 - 200 PPI. TAKE NOTE... Pixel Per Inch. Take into consideration at what distance will the finished product be viewed from. For instance, if the 10 x 12 banner will be viewed from 10ft or more away, I'd create the image work in full size at 100ppi. Unless there are photos or images with fine detail, go for 150ppi. Like I said, don’t worry about this low resolution because it will be viewed at a distance. This also another reason why I'd do the work in a vector program. an image saved in a vector file format keeps it's quality even when scaled up or down (to at least 25% original size)

In preparing the file for your printer, Save the image as TIF or EPS (depending on your bureau's preference) . And don't ZIP the tiff files. The compression may affect the image.

I never send by email. Sometimes the upload and download causes problems on the image for me.

Include the psd (I usually do in case the printer has difficulty with the tiff) and include or imbed (if done in Corel Draw) the necessary fonts.

Last edited:
dv8_fx,,,I was under the impression that pdf is the best format for large scale printing,,,at least my printer has told me this on the rare occasion that I bring something in to blow up real large. The file size is considerably smaller than a tiff file which is a bonus as well as (he said) the output is better.

Last edited:
It is actually. It's just that over the years I've been doing this work, tifs or EPS are the preferred formats by my contractors here in my area. Which is why I first mentioned to check for his printers preference.

But bear in mind there are many different versions of Adobe PDF files, which may cause problems when printing. Improper preparation of pdf files may also cause headaches. This site will explain how to avoid these problems - http://www.myprintresource.com/article/10164821/how-to-avoid-wide-format-pdf-printing-problems.

It is actually. It's just that over the years I've been doing this work, tifs or EPS are the preferred formats by my contractors here in my area. Which is why I first mentioned to check for his printers preference.

But bear in mind there are many different versions of Adobe PDF files, which may cause problems when printing. Improper preparation of pdf files may also cause headaches. This site will explain how to avoid these problems - http://www.myprintresource.com/article/10164821/how-to-avoid-wide-format-pdf-printing-problems.

Thank you for the clarification and link. Much appreciated.

Back