What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with print sizes

Chawn C

Hello!
I'm using Mac (Snow Leopard), CS5, and Epson Printer.

When I have an image I want to print at 11x14", it ends up slightly oversized. For example, for the first test set the crop tool to 11x14 and cropped the image as I wanted it. When I printed this, the actual ink-on-paper was 11.5x14.5".

During the second test, I went into "image size" set "constrain Proportions" on and selected the width to be 13.5" (thinking it might compensate). Once printed, the image printed at a measured 11.25x14.25".

Finally, I made a new blank document of 11x14" @ 300dpi. I made a smart object of the image and dragged it into this new document. It fit perfectly to the 11x14" document with no free transforming needed. The finished print (again) came out with actual dimensions of 11.5x14.5".

I'm suspecting that this is a really simple, obvious thing that I'm doing wrong, but I'm not seeing it and I was not able to find any relevant threads on the issue. I hate wasting paper so I thought I would run it by the friends here.

Thanks for any help!

Chawn

I can't make a mental picture of what you did right or wrong (need more morning coffee, I think) .

It boils down to experiment. Sometimes adjusting the PRINT SIZE on the printer application doesn't work and often have to trick my computer printer to print exact size results by adjusting either the image or document size in my image apps. This may all depend on the size of your image.

But you did something right in your last try. It could have been the document resolution.

I had hoped it was the document resolution, but they have all been done at 300. I feel like the attempt with dragging the smart object into a new document (and still getting an oversized image) exonerates Photoshop. I hate that because the driver software Epson has for Mac stinks and I'm not terribly good at manipulating it to begin with. Fortunately, most of the images I print have a certain amount of bleed-over to crop the print with, but that's not a very craftsman way of getting it to work, lol.

Can't say much about th smart object....

Try comparing for difference between the old and new document properties. Maybe there's something there that will answer why it worked on the new doc.

No; that's what I'm saying. it never worked. The first and third methods yielded an image .5" larger in each dimension. The second attempt yielded an image .25" larger in each dimension. I haven't created a true 11x14" yet.

Ahhh, I didn't see that.

Check your default printer setting. You may have to play around with the settings to get what you want. Don't set it to full page print. Depending on what paper size I use for printing, at times I set the printer to use a larger or smaller document layout to "trick" the printer.

Back