What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Objects not directly editable

graemekoz

Good morning everyone!

I am trying to do some work in photoshop where I cut out parts of a photo, but I am constantly getting a message that says 'Could not complete your request because the smart object is directly editable'.

No matter what I do, I can't stop this from happening.

Can anyone help!???

Thanks

Graeme

When an object is a smart object you cant edit it, its how it is, Rasterize it then edit it, sorry dude no way of getting around it

Thank you MFOX

Thanks for your response. The ones I have issues with are just normal JPEGS. I don't recall having this issue in older versions of Photoshop, just CS3.

If i open the JPEG in a new window, I can edit it there and then just drop it into the one I want to work in and it seems to work there.

Graeme

you cant edit a smart object, You can apply smart filters, and maybe layer adjustments; but he is trying to "cut out parts"

you cant edit a smart object

Of course you can, otherwise smart objects would be totally useless don't you think...

A smart object is basically a shortcut. Example; right click on a layer and notice the option "convert to smart object". Once a layer is converted you can not edit any pixels directly, but you can once you open the smart object.

Here's a quote of Photoshop’s help:

"You can’t perform operations that alter pixel data—such as painting, dodging, burning, or cloning—directly to a Smart Object layer, unless it is first converted into a regular layer, which will be rasterized. To perform operations that alter pixel data, you can:
- edit the contents of a Smart Object
- clone a new layer above the Smart Object layer
- edit duplicates of the Smart Object
- or create a new layer."

His problem however (so it seems) is that he can't open the smart object, if that's the case he has to use your method, but I say again... if everything works well one should at all times be able to edit the smart object.

Good morning everyone!

I am trying to do some work in photoshop where I cut out parts of a photo, but I am constantly getting a message that says 'Could not complete your request because the smart object is directly editable'.

Can anyone help!???

Thanks

Graeme

Hello Graeme!

You can do this very easy. You just have to click with the right button of the mouse over this layer and to Rasterize the layer.
Good luck :)

Reni

cant figure out how to do anything. theres no auto anything. i had to go in and use layering and everything just to whiten teeth

Good morning everyone!

Can anyone help!???

Thanks

Graeme

hey listen to me open a new document on photoshop than drag that smart object in it than save it as a jpeg .when you re going to open it you can edit it easily hope this works for you im using photoshop cs 6 extended and it works for me:D

hey listen to me open a new document on photoshop than drag that smart object in it than save it as a jpeg .when you re going to open it you can edit it easily hope this works for you im using photoshop cs 6 extended and it works for me:D

This is more than a year old, I am afraid he does not wait for answer so long ;-)

Back