What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMART OBJECTS: Can't Edit Text in Mockup psd

philly0128

Hello,

I just found this site tonight, i'm not a photoshop guy, now trying to learn the basics and i've been on youtube but can't find a good video.

I found a site with some mockup text designs and I wanted to try working on them to see how they work.

1. open psd file
2. double click on the smart object thumbnail
3. try to highlight text to edit (this is where i'm lost because it's not allowing me to)View attachment Retro-Car-Emblem-Mock-Up.zip

I just need someone to show me the correct way to edit the text. I've attached a file with the psd image.

Thanks for any help/suggestion that can be provided.

If you have converted the text to a Smart object, double click the thumbnail, you will get a window stating the following....

Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 11.38.59 PM.png

follow directions.

That's the ticket. One train stop towards understanding smart objects. This is what you need to do: find some tuts that help you understand what smart objects are for and how to use them. Any more clarifications, please come to us. We really do have some great Photoshop gurus here. Thanks for bringing your question.

Would you mind if I add the words "smart object" to your title. That might make it easier to find using our search engine.

IamSam, Thank you but I had already figured out that part.
ibclare, Sure you can make the change :)

I've been doing some more search now for smart objects, found alot but not alot of them that tells me how to edit "Text". I was able to edit text in 1 mockup and I think that was only because I didn't have the font so it used 1 of mine and then I was able to edit.

for example the zip mockup I uploaded here. When I double click on the smart object and it opens, it don't have a "Text" layer. just a "Layer thumbnail and a Vector mask thumbnail". I've been trying to figure out what step am I know missing to get to the Text to edit.

The videos I find online thus far none went over how to edit text. Well I did find 1 but there example I already know which was how to change the text if you don't have the font type that came with the mockup.

Here's a screen shot of what I see.

I just came across a tut that showed me how to create a smart object text and I have no issues editing that text. Did you take a look at my link in the 1st post?

I think my issue is the text from the mockup was created in AI and not PS

Back