What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selection now crops to canvas size...HELP!

ladydi1984

I *finally* upgraded from v7 to CS4, and so far I am not very happy...just took me half an hour to figure out that you have to hold ALT down first and THEN drag your layer effect to another layer without completely losing the effect from the original layer...the tabbed interface makes no sense to me whatsoever (can't believe what I have to go thru just to drag a layer from one file to another)...but anyways, here's my current and biggest problem:

When I make a marquee selection, say a circle, and I want the circle to go outside the canvas area, when I let go of the mouse the selection I have is missing the area outside the canvas. Is there a way to keep the off-canvas selection, or is this something I have to live with? If the latter then I am very sad, will have to go back to v7 I guess...

Thanks
di

just make canvas bigger .if I understand what your saying

just make canvas bigger .if I understand what your saying

...so every time I want a larger-than-canvas selection I have to change my canvas size...so I'll keep having to crop my image when I'm ready to save it... that doesn't seem very convenient or efficient to me...

Thanks for the response anyways...I just don't get why can't I just do what I was able to do in v7 and earlier...

Goto Edit> Preferences> Interface> Uncheck "Open documents with tabs" and click ok... Now it's much easier to work with... I think you'll love CS4 in a matter of no time...

Already tried that, it opens it in a small window. When I maximize that window, I lose everything, my menu, my toolbar, my palettes...all I have is the image, the gray area outside and the rulers...?

I just reread your original post, do you have Snap To borders on? If so, it will auto snap to the border of your canvas automatically..

There's "Snap To: Guides / Grid / Layers / Slices / Document Bounds / All / None"
(no "Borders" option)

I tried turning all the snapping off, still have the same problem...*sigh*

marquee1.jpgmarquee2.jpg
marquee3.jpg

Here's what I do in v7 to create the arrow in the bottom image: I first make a triangle, then make a second layer filled with black and bump the opacity down to 50%, then make a circular selection of the area to delete. This selection needs to be significantly larger than the canvas area. I make the selection, delete the area, then move the selection down and delete the bottom part...just can't do this in CS4. Any ideas?

I'm still confused. To go beyond canvas, you are going lose what ever you do once the image is flattened

All you need to do is drag the image window out larger than the image. Then draw the circle as big as you like.

I'm curious what happens if you drag that selection. Does it retain that same shape?

If I make the selection completely within the canvas then its fine, it retains its shape. I guess I'll have to make an extra large temporary canvas for making big selections and then drag them into the main file. Again, this seems like a very inefficient way to work...oh well.

I'm curious what happens if you drag that selection. Does it retain that same shape?

Also, try making the selection in the middle of the layer, then dragging it off the edge.

Have you tried either? If you what is the result?

Also, try making the selection in the middle of the layer, then dragging it off the edge.

Have you tried either? If you what is the result?

yes, see message above...

Back