What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Royal Gorge Edit

irvjc_

Hello :)
I have a request concerning a picture I took at the royal gorge bridge. The scene was very cool to look at but I wished the grey railing wasn’t a part of it. If someone could please help me out and remove it, making it just the scenery.
Thank you

1E6FA468-B72E-4B52-81A7-18922ECF85ED.jpeg

My first effort last night would have been a career-ender if this was my career. Thankfully @IamSam saved me from myself.

Started from the beginning and rebuilt slowly using several tools instead of relying on fewer AI tools to do the heavy lifting. This is a highly difficult piece because you don't want to alter the landscape too heavily although considering how much of it is a guess.

It's also difficult to communicate the enormity of the landscape although that would take a whole other basket of photography techniques and editing.

So using patience to do most of the work, did the best I could while also minimally adjusting the sharpness, lighting and color cast of the original. I hope I did it some justice. :)

royal gorge edit REV.jpg

So very sorry Jeff, but there seems to be some trouble spots in this version, almost too many to point out. But this is a VERY difficult edit that would challenge anyone! Keep trying!

Power lines
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 4.48.35 PM.png

Lot's of leftover railing an tons of doubling!
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 4.52.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 4.52.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 4.52.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 4.52.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 4.52.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 4.53.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 4.58.35 PM.png

I'm done. Too many hours already....
NOOoooooo don't give up..............cheat!

Here's what I'm doing.

I searched the web for a similar photo. Even though it's not perfect, I can cheat it!
I have guidelines on a particular rock of the original image...
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 5.53.39 PM.png

Here's the cheat photo lined up...
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 5.53.50 PM.png

Throw in the layer mask blending........ and I'm nearly there!
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 5.55.33 PM.png

Same cheat photo duplicated and lined up with the river.............at least as close as I can get it!
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 5.56.48 PM.png

Add in the blending with the layer mask...........I have eliminated a huge portion of the railing and I only have some minor clone stamping to do!

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 6.02.24 PM.png

I can also duped the cheat photo again and moved it where I needed it to cover the rest of the railing.
Now I have almost all the railing covered.
Now I will merge everything and begin Clone Stamping from here! A whole heck of a lot less work!
Finding a similar photo was the hard part!
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 6.13.25 PM.png

Finding a similar photo was the hard part!

Nice one, @IamSam !

@Babine, yours is technically excellent. Do you mind sharing how you did it?

Let's say you can't find a similar photo, as in IamSam's approach. I just now experimented and came up with an approach that gets you to maybe 60% very quickly:
  • Using the Pen tool, I created a path around each horizontal and vertical bar of the railing.
  • I deliberately made the path 10% too big, so there was no need to be careful about exactly mirroring the railing. The whole Pen Tool process took just 5 minutes.
  • Here's the pen path, highlighted in yellow:
Gorge1.jpg

• From here, I made a selection from this path and used Content-Aware fill. The result still needs a lot of work (which I'm not going to do), but it's a much easier starting point for only 5 minutes of work.
Gorge2.jpg

NOOoooooo don't give up..............cheat!

I thought of using that technique but I wanted to stay true to the image take by the OP. I certainly underestimated how difficult it would be.

@Rich54 - I opted for the pen tool/content aware method but that's how I ended up with all that doubling etc in my first attempt. For complex backgrounds you can't really depend on it entirely for the heavy lifting. At least that's what I ended up finding out.

In my last attempt above, I patiently used the clone stamp, healing brush, and spot healing brush to do most of the work. But I think I went back too many times and overdid it. No doubt my eyes were getting tired as well since I tried to stay with it and finish.

I'd like to hear from Gary/Babine as well on his process....

Last edited:
OK..............I have not had a great deal of time to work on this, but this is where I'm at for the moment. It still needs work on the shadows..........but I got tired. Will pick it up later.

RoyalGorgeEdit_01.jpg

Back