What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paid Restore black-and-white family heirloom photograph to its former glory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxwilliams

Price
Hello talented Photoshop community,

This is my first time doing this so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm looking for a skilled photo editor to help restore an old family heirloom photograph. The image features my now-deceased grandmother with her three children. I want to get it all fixed up for my mother (her daughter) as a birthday present, so it holds quite a lot of sentimental value for us all.

The primary issue that I can see is the black-and-white colouring has degraded. This is most easy to see if you look at my grandmother's face in the centre, which appears to be normal black and white, and then everywhere else it has heavily degraded. But if there are any other issues then fixing those too would be great! I want to bring it back to its former glory, or make it even better! I want to keep it black-and-white though.

I have a super high-res scan of the image (ie., bigger than the one uploaded to this site), and want to keep it high-res so it can be re-printed in high quality. Let me know if you need me to send the image separately.

Here are the specific things I need assistance with:
  • Correcting the black-and-white to bring out the best quality.
  • Enhancing the overall clarity and sharpness of the photo.
  • Removing any visible blemishes or damage.
  • Restoring the natural look while maintaining the vintage charm.
I think around $20 is normal for a job like this? But open to paying a bit more for a really spectacular job.

Let me know what else anyone needs.

Many thanks!

J

Family Photo Final.jpg

Hello talented Photoshop community,

This is my first time doing this so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm looking for a skilled photo editor to help restore an old family heirloom photograph. The image features my now-deceased grandmother with her three children. I want to get it all fixed up for my mother (her daughter) as a birthday present, so it holds quite a lot of sentimental value for us all.

The primary issue that I can see is the black-and-white colouring has degraded. This is most easy to see if you look at my grandmother's face in the centre, which appears to be normal black and white, and then everywhere else it has heavily degraded. But if there are any other issues then fixing those too would be great! I want to bring it back to its former glory, or make it even better! I want to keep it black-and-white though.

I have a super high-res scan of the image (ie., bigger than the one uploaded to this site), and want to keep it high-res so it can be re-printed in high quality. Let me know if you need me to send the image separately.

Here are the specific things I need assistance with:
  • Correcting the black-and-white to bring out the best quality.
  • Enhancing the overall clarity and sharpness of the photo.
  • Removing any visible blemishes or damage.
  • Restoring the natural look while maintaining the vintage charm.
I think around $20 is normal for a job like this? But open to paying a bit more for a really spectacular job.

Let me know what else anyone needs.

Many thanks!

J

View attachment 145781
PM'd for hires version.

Here you go mate: can be upscaled and printed upto a3 size. Further suggestions are welcomed :)

Sorry the baby's leg was missing.
1720760101984.png
1720759561169.png
1720759659648.png
1720759912632.png

Last edited:
Hi John,

I think your images were the closest to what I had pictured in my mind.

I like the top one the best.

My only thoughts are that my grandmother's face seems a little AI-ish?

Is there a way to chat with you privately?

Many thanks,

James
Hi @jxwilliams
You can use this website's messaging capability (the letter icon at the top of the page) to thebestcpu.
Assuming we finalize an image you want with payment, the final version would be posted to this thread, which I believe is required by the forum rules.

Weird...it won't let me message anyone. Can you message me to start the conversation?

Many thanks!

Hi @jxwilliams
You can use this website's messaging capability (the letter icon at the top of the page) to thebestcpu.
Assuming we finalize an image you want with payment, the final version would be posted to this thread, which I believe is required by the forum rules.

As an update to the thread, I have a partial payment as a B&W version is completed, and I am working on a colorized version for review and approval by the OP. When finished, I will post the results without watermarks here after receiving the final payment.
John Wheeler

It's still in process. The requested changes on the colorized version have been completed, and it's off for another review pass. It's getting closer to done. The client is in Australia, so time zone differences add to the turnaround times.
John Wheeler

The final payment was made, and the B&W and color versions without watermarks are included below.
Thanks, @jxwilliams / James, for the opportunity to work with you on these two projects
John Wheeler

Final-Black-and-White-Heirloom-restore-more-natural-woman-touchups.jpg

Final-Black-and-White-Heirloom-restore-more-natural-woman-touchups-and-colorized.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back