What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS4 keeps crashing!

Glitcher

Hi, I'm new and I have a problem that's driving me crazy. I recently upgraded to Photoshop CS4 and I love the new features, but the program won't stop crashing on me. It simply closes at random moments without so much as an error message. Most often it happens whenever I try to scan something, but it can even happen when the program is idle. Reinstalling didn't solve anything. Please help me fix this!

Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4 - 3.0GHz
1024MB RAM
Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
DirectX 9.0c

I've had no trouble running CS2. And when CS4 is not crashing, I don't notice any significant slowdown or other flaws.

I have the same problem. Brand new iMac (Dec.2008). PSCS4 simply quits at random, and does it so often, I've gone back to CS3 (which, thankfully, I left intact). I have no clue how to fix it, either. Very buggy.

It's a long story, so try this and the other related links on that page:

GPU and OpenGL Features and Limitations in Photoshop CS4

Adobe has said it many time in the past; crashes in Photoshop are in most cases related to the graphics driver. CS4 however relies more on the graphics driver than any previous Photoshop version, that's why people see more crashes in CS4 related to this.

Last edited:
It's no use. I have the latest driver for my Intel 82865G graphics controller and OpenGL acceleration disabled in Photoshop, but the program keeps crashing. What now?

Same Problem

I have recently upgraded from CS3 to CS4 and it crashes all the time now too. It is possible that I may need a new graphics controller.
I am running:

Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4, 2.80GHz
1 gig of RAM

I dont know how to find out what my graphics controller is... can anyone help me out with that?

Help for 82865g Open GL crashes on Dell

For what it's worth, I have a lab full of Dell Optiplex GX-270's experiencing the Photoshop CS4/OpenGL problem with the Intel 82865G chipset. According to Intel's site, I had the latest drivers, however Dell's support site had an updated driver that was supposed to address Open GL crashes. After installing it and some brief trials, the problem has gone away. My testing was not thorough and I will post again if it returns. Dell's driver version is 6.14.10.4544 dated 7/26/2006.

Photoshops CS4 Keeps Crashing: Solution!!!

I have recently upgraded from CS3 to CS4 and it crashes all the time now too. It is possible that I may need a new graphics controller.
I am running:

Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4, 2.80GHz
1 gig of RAM

I dont know how to find out what my graphics controller is... can anyone help me out with that?

Hi Friend,

I have been experiencing this problem and went to various forums to find the solution. Nothing seemed to work except for this one solution. Many suggest that the driver needs to be updated since Photoshop CS4 requires more of the media graphic controller than the previous versions. So to resolve the issue, I visited Intel's website at Intel® Driver Update Utility - Check for the latest driver and installed their utility to scan my system and it provided the most updated driver for my system. After downloading and installing it, along with doing a Photoshop CS4 update, the program now runs fine. There are no longer any crashes. Yeeeahhh!!!!!

I have found that CS4 is incompatible with alot of programs running same time..... the more programs you have running the more RAM is used.

I read somewhere that, when there isnt enough RAM to support CS4, it will just close, instead of lagging the computer.

If in preferences you have selected to dedicate PS to 500mb of RAM, When the computer starts needing the 500mb dedicated to photoshop, it will terminate photoshop, it also happens in After effects sometimes. If you have 1gb ram and 500 to PS, that leaves the 500 for windows and other programs, which is nothing. i think windows needs about 300 to run, so your left with 100-200 spare.

I think that 1gb Ram isnt enough, i had recently upgraded to 4gb RAM from 2gb and everything is much smoother.

Last edited:
This is not a solution, when I'm processing a 15 Mp RAW file Photoshop needs 550 Mb. The main problem is that you can't save your work before the crash.

CS4 Crash fixed

Photoshop CS4 shut off by itself every 5 minute or so after I opened the application. Tried reloading CS4 but didn't help. Read some users suggested to update the graphic driver and it seemed to be the solution for my problem. After I uploaded the updated graphic driver from NVIDIA driver site, CS4 was not crashing anymore. I have tested it with the new driver for over one hour and seemed to be stable. Thanks to this Forum.

Machine: Dell Dimension 8400
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6800
CPU: Intel Pentium 4. 3.4GHz
Physical Memory:1G
Experienced some slowness in refreshing frames, thinking of adding memory as suggested by other user.

Maybe this will help someone with a similar issue as mine.

I was running Photoshop CS4 on Windows XP/SP3 using an Nvidia GEForce 7600 GT video card. I was getting errors when starting photoshop telling me that:

"Photoshop encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video card manufacturer's website for the latest software.

GPU enhancements can be enabled in the Performance panel of Preferences."

I tried upgrading the video driver to Nvidia's 191.07 version (from v182.50) and since then both Photoshop and Bridge (I didn't test other Adobe software) were causing my system (not just Photoshop) to crash, particularly when closing the programs or saving a file, giving a variety of STOP error messages at the bluescreen including 0x0000008E, 0x00000019 and 0x0000000A errors with two mentioning nv4_disp.dll and dxdiagn.dll.

Uninstalling PhysX alone (which is included in most recent Nvidia Driver downloads) didn't help but reverting to the previous driver version by downloading a fresh copy from Nvidia's website seems to have rectified the issue so far.

Maybe this will help people troubleshoot their particular issues.

Epoclaen

Back