What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

layer masks vs channel masks

kvnchien

Hi,

I understand that I can create layer masks to hide or reveal part of an image on certain layer. Can I use the saved masks in alpha channel to accomplish the same thing - hide/reveal portion of an image. I am a little bit confused with layer masks and masks stored in alpha channel. Are they supposed to be the same thing (I guess so)?

Essentially? Technically?... yes.

The main dif is that a mask stored in a channel serves as a storage space of sorts where you can save a selection you've created. Editing or duplicating that mask can make defining complex selections much simpler. As opposed to using Quick Mask or starting from scratch each time with the selection tools.

Channels though have no direct effects on a layer. That's what Layer Masks are for. A Layer Mask can 'hide/mask' certain areas of a layer, and that data is/can be stored within a Channel.

HINT: To edit a Layer Mask directly, simply hold the ALT/Option key down and click the layer mask. This reveals only the mask, making it easy to edit it (visually). To return the layers to their normal 'visible' states, click on any layer.

TIP: Creating and saving Paths can also serve this same purpose.

When you add a layer mask to a layer, and then reload a selection that you saved as a mask in an alpha channel, the selection also applies to the layer mask.
So instead of, for example, making a selection and press Del to show the countenance of the layer beneath the active one, you can also add a layer mask, reload the selection and fill the selection on the layer mask with black. The result is the same.

Hi kvnchien and welcome to the board :righton:

I hope that you found all the answers that you needed, otherwise don't be afraid to ask ;)

Back