What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Effect

Rich54

Guru
I saw this illustration in New Yorker magazine. It's by an artist named Lola Dupre and she makes these by hand using paper and scissors. I've been trying to replicate the effect in Photoshop, but I'm not there yet. I started by creating a starburst pattern, which I used to mask, enlarge and rotate the image to create a first pass at all the facets. But there's more than that going on here.

I'll post my results if I get something decent. If anybody has any ideas on how to approach this, I'm interested.

Rich

1725034340150.png

I saw this illustration in New Yorker magazine. It's by an artist named Lola Dupre and she makes these by hand using paper and scissors. I've been trying to replicate the effect in Photoshop, but I'm not there yet. I started by creating a starburst pattern, which I used to mask, enlarge and rotate the image to create a first pass at all the facets. But there's more than that going on here.

I'll post my results if I get something decent. If anybody has any ideas on how to approach this, I'm interested.

Rich

View attachment 146768

Very unique. I like the effect. I can well imagine the time that you spent on the mask(s).

I have actually come across her collage work before.

I had seen some collage works by her that looked like this...
Screen Shot 2024-08-30 at 12.56.14 PM.png

These were similar to some edits I had made using a slightly different style without displacement.
Screen Shot 2024-08-30 at 12.53.28 PM.png

But I believe the principle to be the same. It's multiple subject layers, an odd grid pattern for cut outs, and moving/displacing/exploding the subject on all layers overlapping.

The pointy shards are a little more intricate, in where they originate, but the same principle. I will try squares first, then tackle the pointy cuts!

I can get this far, creating pointy shards by using starburst and star patterns in a mask, and then rotating the image in each successive layer. But I can't think of a good way to "explode" the starburst—like the red shards below—without manually creating dozens of individual pen paths.

1725047790596.png

1725047669964.png

1725047640665.png

I have been playing with this effect since you first posted!! There's really no EASY way to do this!!! I've been trying to work on a larger more intricate version and it's majorly time consuming and tedious.

I will make a smaller version to demonstrate what I'm doing. This should explain the "exploding" part for you! BRB.

Here's my simple example with just one "moved" group.....
Screen Shot 2024-08-30 at 4.39.40 PM.png

I've included the PSD File to give you direction..........this is how I would approach it, but this is just the first layer ............I think she changes the center point with each concentric expanding layer!!!!

Attachments

There's really no EASY way to do this!!! ...it's majorly time consuming and tedious.

Agree. I see in your PSD file that you manually created each individual shard and then positioned them by hand for the explosion effect. This is how Lola Dupre does it, as well, making individual shards with scissors. I don't think there's any other way to do it.

Back