What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actions How to take part of an image but also make a pattern

lofthouse1982

So I'm currently painting one of the V8 Supercars race helmets from 2022 indigenous round, i would like to take part of a pattern from the race car picture and use that as a base layer on the helmet. So basically take a bit from the image and make it into 1 big image so that i can drag on to the template in Photoshop. I have done most of the work with the suit, helmet and gloves. I would like to add that design underneath the sponsors on the helmet.

Oh and the pattern i want to make bigger and take from the car is all the yellow lines...

Any help or tips would be great

Thanks Richard

main car shell.jpg
Model W Davison V8 Supercars 2022.jpegtemplate.jpeg

Hi @lofthouse aka Richared

From your description it is not clear exactly which pattern that you want repeating i.e. just yellow lines on a red background or doe you want the surround black on the yellow lines as well.

I any case, one can create a repeating pattern without much difficulty. I have an example repeating pattern and will tell you how I created it.

First I just created a rectangular area. I copied in parts of the car image as a starting point and only kept the yellow pattern and deleted (made transparent) all the red and black colors. I made a red background Layer and drew yellow lines with a Layer style with Layer Style of Black Stroke on the outside edge. I used this as a starting point and then created a second copy of it, flipped it vertically and merged it back down.

On the newer versions of PS, there is a view mode View > Pattern Preview that shows how the pattern would appear if repeated. With this veiw in place you can draw on the image and have it fill in across pattern boundaries. This process makes the pattern look a bit more natural.

The image can be saved as a pattern for use in PS via Edit Define Pattern

You can take this pattern and resize or transform to change the width or height to fit you needs.

I have included the repeating pattern and also a screenshot of the pattern in the repeating view mode
Hope this gives you an idea on approach
John Wheeler

Repeating-Pattern.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 4.17.44 PM.jpg

Thank you for the help and what you have done is perfect, thats exactly how i wanted it to look. Now i will practice a bit and finish the helmet. Many many thanks for the help and tips

Back