What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to replace text in a scanned document

Johnny15

I just scanned a document and would like to replace the German text with English.
If you could explain how to do this step by step, it would be a great help because I have a lot of translating to do.
Is there a way to scan the font and find an exact or similar match?
Additionally, if you know of a good tutorial about working with layers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Giannis

Attachments

Thanks a lot for the font! I’d like to replace the original text with something similar in English, but I want the replacement to look as seamless as possible. Also, is there a way to identify the font from other scanned images using Photoshop or another tool?

Thanks in advance.

but I want the replacement to look as seamless as possible.
Please explain what you mean by this. Thanks!

If you are referring to how to remove the old text, then just use the Clone stamp Tool and remove one line at a time.
Make sure you line up the ruling.

Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 9.05.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 9.05.53 AM.png

Now you can add back any text you like on a new layer.

Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 9.10.29 AM.png

Please explain what you mean by this. Thanks!

If you are referring to how to remove the old text, then just use the Clone stamp Tool and remove one line at a time.
Make sure you line up the ruling.

View attachment 147609
View attachment 147610

Now you can add back any text you like on a new layer.

View attachment 147611
I meant exactly what you did!
How did you keep the lines straight? I tried, but they turned out like this (see attached photo).
I selected the area, pressed Shift + F5, and then used the Spot Healing Brush Tool to correct anything that didn’t look the way I wanted.

2024-10-21 19_19_29-Window.png

I selected the area, pressed Shift + F5, and then used the Spot Healing Brush Tool to correct anything that didn’t look the way I wanted.
Why? This is not what I proposed in post #6.

You need to use the Clone Stamp Tool. You should not need to use any other tool.

I have one last question, how can I align straight one document after scanning?
I can never scan correctly, like the one I have attached.
Normally, I press Ctrl + T and align them by eye. Is there any way to do it automatically?

Not sure how you are scanning and why you have saved in PDF. Take a look at this video for some tips on one way to scan directly to Ps.

There is an auto alignment (Edit > Auto align layers) feature in Ps, but I don't know if it will work for this situation. You can try. Otherwise, the only way to "accurately align" scanned layers would more than likely be by doing it manually.

Once you have your documents scanned in layers, you will have to orient them, expand the canvas if needed, and then align them.

Back