What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make these faded feather effects ?

zoe20

Power User
How to make these faded feather effects ? Which is common now a days on the header slider images ? is it gradients .Any help will be highly appreciated.

cheers

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

Zoe, this is a layer added above the photo/image with a foreground to transparent gradient added from right to left. White set as the foreground color.

Zoe, you did great with both versions!

I prefer Spruces technique of using the layer mask over my technique of using a gradient. They both work, using the layer mask is much more editable and customizable.

I think the reason why your not thinking its working is due to the lightness of the background. There's not enough contrast to make it look more like the example you posted.

Lets try it with a contrasting hue so you can see what I'm referring to.....

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 8.16.34 AM.png

Just to add to your arsenal of tricks, zoe....

Id use a layer mask with a gradient applied to it....

Create new layer fill white. Apply a layer mask.

Click on the layer mask icon to select it...

Make sure default foreground and background color is selected. Select gradient tool. Click and drag from left of monitor to right of monitor. Done...

gradient mask.jpg

The beauty with this technique is you can create a variety of masking effects with the other shape gradients (radial, angle, reflected and diamond) used with any combination of gradient colors or color pattern. Just make sure to apply the gradient on the mask and not the layer itself.

Try it.

Thanks dv8!

I'm so sorry Zoe, I thought that the technique Spruce used was with the layer mask! That's what I get for glancing and not reading.....the text was too small.

On the record, I prefer the layer mask technique.
As you can see, it's what I did in the example I posted to you earlier!

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 3.37.00 PM.png

Back