What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to find a photos geographic location

knowoneuno

I took some photos back on October 7, 2017. I'm wanting to go back to the SAME location in October, again. A friend of mine took me to this location, and they no longer live in the area. How do I find where the GPS coordinates are? I've "googled" search for location, etc.......all the answers I get are "search for metadata" and/or "exif info". I've tried that, on some websites, but no EXIF / Metadata exists or can be found. At least not with the techniques / suggestions that I've found. I've got over 600 .CR2 files from this location, yet still no luck in finding out where I was.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hi @knowoneuno
If GPS data was recorded, it would be saved in the metadata of your raw file. If you could link one of your files on the thread, a forum member could easily check it.
However, only some camera models have built-in GPS or alternate ways to save GPS information (external cannon GPS device) or WiFi linked to an enabled Smart Phone/device

So you might not have any GPS information in your metadata.

Here is a link to a 2017 article on Canon cameras that could potentially save GPS information and the method used to do so. That might be a good starting point for you.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1692667874300

Hi @knowoneuno
If GPS data was recorded, it would be saved in the metadata of your raw file. If you could link one of your files on the thread, a forum member could easily check it.
However, only some camera models have built-in GPS or alternate ways to save GPS information (external cannon GPS device) or WiFi linked to an enabled Smart Phone/device

So you might not have any GPS information in your metadata.

Here is a link to a 2017 article on Canon cameras that could potentially save GPS information and the method used to do so. That might be a good starting point for you.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1692667874300
I'll go look at this article. That's the problem, I think. I don't think any GPS data was saved, unfortunately.

Back