What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I create this effect on photos?

galleycat

Hi guys,

Just had a look through this forum and there's some great advice being posted so thought I'd try and get some too!

I'm looking to create some posters like these with my own photos of friends etc.

It's the effect on the player I'm after re-creating. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated :)

The way I see it.

Make a selection of what you want in B&W, copy to new layer.

Make a selection of what you want in color. Copy to new layer. Turn off this layer.

Use the threshold layer adjustment on the black and white layer till you get the effect you want. There are other methods to do this B&W- there always are in PS), b ut this may be the simplest and fastest if it works for the effect you like. If not, come back and ask for different ideas.

No take your color selection layer and make it visible again. Play with layer panel, layer modes, and see if any of them make a difference you want.

I hope this helps.

BTW, with the first example, do as above with the B&W, then just use a layer hue adjustment and choose colorize, it's the check box in the adjustment window on the lower left.

First one is easy if you just want use bw photo. Just use screen or multiply filter (in layers) depending on do you want to bring only whites or blacks on front.

Second one you can basically do the same but then color over it by using overlay or color burn etc. depending what kinda effect you're after.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thank you for your help with this.I had a quick go at something similar yesterday and it looked alright. I'll post up an example soon, see what you guys think would improve it etc.

Back