What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I merge & export 2 layers with blending modes?

remondo

Hi

I'm working on some graphics for an iPhone app for which I need to export images to png.

The image has an inner and an outer glow to create a glowing LED effect. The problem I have is the outer glow has the 'screen' blending mode applied and when I export this the blending mode defaults to 'Normal'. The image must have a transparent background because it will be used in different locations on top of a brushed aluminium background effect.

I understand that the blending mode takes the background layer into account when determining the output. If what I'm attempting to do is not possible can anybody suggest an alternative way of creating this glowing LED effect which I can export with a transparent background?

I have attached an example of this, the first 'light' is how I want it to appear when merged. The second 'light' is how it currently looks when merged.

lights.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Don't think it's posible if you can't use TIF or PSD files.

If i would have to do such thing and background is known ... just set outer glow's blend mode to normal and find color and strength which is similiar to screen mode. Fake it till you make it.

I've never had any trouble saving an image in .png or .gif and preserving transparencies but I have never tried it with a blending mode. Since the button has to blend with something below it I doubt there is any way to do this. You might try a clipping mask but i suspect that once you remove the background it will still not be quite right.

Thanks for your replies, as I feared there doesn't seem to be any way to do this so I'll just have to bodge it!

Can't you just duplicate the circle with the glows and merge them? Maybe make the normal blend mode bottom layer a lower opacity? I'm not exactly sure what that will do to the effect...

Back