What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Glitch Art

Antha87

Hello,

I am trying to create some distorted images, I have managed to find a few tutorial but the specific look I want I am not even sure he technical name of never mind how to achieve it.

I am trying the get the sort of holographic, old school tv distortion. Some some images below. The only way I have come close is to layer images and warp the image underneath...doesn't look as good though. I wonder if they have achieved this via other equipment.

Any help would be really appreciated !

Thanks in advance :)

Sam

Attachments

• 7edbec4a5d17ee0d97af304cad9bc94f.jpg
    7edbec4a5d17ee0d97af304cad9bc94f.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 9262b314d87c663fcf7f8f9530d22264.jpg
    9262b314d87c663fcf7f8f9530d22264.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 28
Believe it or not, 5 or 10 years ago, there was a plugin that (semi-automatically) generated exactly these sorts of birefringence-like color bands. Unfortunately, I don't remember its name at the moment. If I remember it, I'll let you know.

In the absence of that, I would start by generating some TV-like scan lines, then use the liquify and/or the various warp tools to push them around, then use the gradient map tool ( I think "noise maps" might be a good set to start with) to add the repeating color bands.

HTH,

Tom M

Here's what I got in less than 2 minutes in PS using the method I described above and just randomly pushing around a couple of sets of B&W scan lines that I made. Spend a bit more time optimizing the spacing and softness of the sets of scan lines that you will overlay, the color mapping of the result, adding in a bit of your own, underlying image, and various other things, and you should get very close to what you want.

T

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 25
In a attempt to help out another member with this type of effect, I did some serious searching on Glitch Art. Regretfully, I came up fairly empty with my efforts. While Ps is quite capable of creating some types of glitch effects, the distortion effect as in your example is hard to do. The closest way I found was to use the shear option in the distort filters.

Here's one tutorial I found: http://www.photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-effects/white-noise/

Like Tom stated, I would add the TV scan lines and then distort. I suspect that the color in your examples were added using a gradient map. I will have to play with this idea and see what results I can come up with.

Thanks for the help guys - I have managed to get a bit further forward.

I added the scan lines, thanks for that! Then I used the liquefy tool to warp the image, then added the gradient layer and warped it on the same mesh - the result below. (added the original as well to show the difference).

It's still not 100% - the colours are right. Can't decide when is the best point to play about with the colours to get that look.

Attachments

• hollywood.jpg
    hollywood.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 20
  • GLITCH.jpg
    GLITCH.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 20
Tweak the colors by customizing a separate gradient map layer. This is a different tool and a separate step from any simple color gradient that you used.

T

Last edited:

Back