What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halftoning Query

lanter09

Hi folks,

I posted about this over a decade ago on here and got a great answer - however the thread is rather cold (like the links!) and the kind people who answered me haven't logged in for years - so I'm posting again!

I'm trying to re-create artwork used for Madonna's 'Celebration' album artwork. It's a mashup of three images (face/hair/neckline) of her from the 80s that are then halftoned.
feat63.jpg

I'm finding the built-in halftone filter in Photoshop to be less than satisfactory - I need the size of the half-tone dots to relate to the shade of the area - as opposed to being all over the image:
MDNA.jpg

On my old post here user '$1r_M4x1mu$' suggested I use an external raster tool - but the download link doesn't work anymore.

Wondering if anyone could lend a hand insofar as suggestions are concerned?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi @lanter09

Not sure exactly what effect your are trying to achieve yet the way to adjust what dots show in for what graytone is to change the image tone and then apply the half tone.
I did this all in a Smart Ojbect of this original image (actual dimensions of image is 5000 x 5000 px

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.02.48 AM.jpg
The I applied the Camer Raw Filter to the Smart Object and mostly turned up the white point and added contrast yet you can go wild with adjustments to get the right effect:

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.12.12 AM.jpg

Then I applied the half tone fitler to the Smart Object:

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.07.17 AM.jpg

And here are the settings of the half tone filter:

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.07.39 AM.jpg

The dots do vary by the gray tones.
You can play with the total pixel dimensions of the iamge
The max radius of the halftone
and primarly the toning of the image to which you apply the halftone

Hope this helps. If I missed your question, please clarify
John Wheeler

Hi @lanter09

Not sure exactly what effect your are trying to achieve yet the way to adjust what dots show in for what graytone is to change the image tone and then apply the half tone.
I did this all in a Smart Ojbect of this original image (actual dimensions of image is 5000 x 5000 px

View attachment 129810
The I applied the Camer Raw Filter to the Smart Object and mostly turned up the white point and added contrast yet you can go wild with adjustments to get the right effect:

View attachment 129811

Then I applied the half tone fitler to the Smart Object:

View attachment 129812

And here are the settings of the half tone filter:

View attachment 129813

The dots do vary by the gray tones.
You can play with the total pixel dimensions of the iamge
The max radius of the halftone
and primarly the toning of the image to which you apply the halftone

Hope this helps. If I missed your question, please clarify
John Wheeler

Oh good grief, you've just stopped my headache in its tracks. Thank you!

I was going into filter gallery and then using the halftone instead of using the drop-downs and going for colour halftone.

As we say here in Wales, Diolch!

Hey.

I've played with this effect for awhile now and did not got exact results.....................it's quite a challenge.

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 12.39.35 PM.png

But as far as the half toning went, I did something similar to what John describes.
I took the original image and converted to a smart object.
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 12.44.03 PM.png

I then double clicked the SO and added a levels adjustment layer to offset the contrast.
Saved the state change.
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 12.46.07 PM.png

I then applied the color halftone smart filter.
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 12.41.57 PM.png

I then added a layer style and used the "Blend If" option to get the transparency.
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 12.52.01 PM.png

Hey.

I've played with this effect for awhile now and did not got exact results.....................it's quite a challenge.

View attachment 129819

But as far as the half toning went, I did something similar to what John describes.
I took the original image and converted to a smart object.
View attachment 129820

I then double clicked the SO and added a levels adjustment layer to offset the contrast.
Saved the state change.
View attachment 129821

I then applied the color halftone smart filter.
View attachment 129822

I then added a layer style and used the "Blend If" option to get the transparency.
View attachment 129824

All sorted now! Thank you both so much for taking the time out of your day to get back to me. I've been a huge fan of that cover artwork for the longest time and lost the original replica I made. I'm going to turn it into a screen print and have some artsy fun! Diolch!!

283561291_416344317011112_6602306678187342249_n.jpg

Back