What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football/Soccer Player Cool Effects

darleyred

All,

cap_2208.jpg
I'm wondering if someone can give me a bit of help in achieving the football player effect as seen in the image attached. I have tried a few different designs/basic options is PS, but cant seem to get the effect of half photo/half illustration quite right...

Any help would be great as im struggling!

Thanks

I will just about bet they used the painting tools in either PS or Corel Painter to manipulate the underlying photo.

Tom

I agree with Tom. Maybe a watercolor filter? I will have to experiment with this later.

Hi IamSam,

Thanks for the post, if you can offer any further advise it would be welcome... the file im working on is this one... (also attached). I have tried a few watercolour options but i cant seem to get the desired effect as the detail goes missing...View attachment experiment_no2.psd

IMG_5295.jpg

Hi Darleyred -

I like what you did in your PSD file. You are getting closer, but I really don't think you will ever get what you want using only PS's adjustments and the standard native efx in PS. I really think you are going to have to use some painting tools.

For example, I produced the attached by spending a few (less than 5) minutes with the auto-painting mode in Corel Painter. I pretty much used the defaults settings and used the first brush that looked interesting, so it doesn't match the look you want, but hopefully, it gives you an idea of the new sorts of things painting introduces compared to conventional PS filters and efx. I'm sure that by devoting some serious effort, ie, picking the right brushes (more oily/smeary rather than pencil like), using manual painting instead of auto-paint, etc., you can get very close.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_5295-tjm01-acr-ps01_sRGB-03_Corel_Painter_auto_paint.jpg
    IMG_5295-tjm01-acr-ps01_sRGB-03_Corel_Painter_auto_paint.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 23
Hi Darleyred,
Have you tried working with the Mixer Brush tool (located in the Brush flyout)in PS. I would suggest a Very Wet setting and just 100% on the Load,Mix and Flow. You might want to Google a tut on it if you haven't used it before. It would do a good job for you on creating a background. Try some torn edge brushes that you can find by just a search and create the edges.

Here is an example. Please pardon my sloppy selections but maybe this will convey the thought.View attachment 45843

Attachments

• football.JPG
    football.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Guys, i can't thank you enough for showing interest in my project... Tom, i love the style you have applied in Corel painter, i love the movement/motion it applies. I would love to have a go at it, but as it would all be new to me it would be quite daunting!!! Larry, im going to try your suggestions too... I hope it comes up well on high res as i'm designing a poster print and need it too be quite sharp! Thanks again chaps.

I messed around a little and came up with two versions. I haven't played with this kind of thing for far too long. Thanks for the question!!

test1.jpgtest2.jpg

Back