What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fit image to Canvas automatically

Ctoonprty1

Hi all, I am trying to automate a process where I will be putting an image to a smart object layer, fit the photo manually to canvas, save it and exit. Then my mockup is exported and saved. All good so far but when I try to automate this, it works, but the other images that are being applied to the smart object layer do not fit in the canvas and come up like the attached photo. I want them full stretched cover the entire frame. Any thoughts on how I can fix that?

(28) Smart Object.jpg

but the other images that are being applied to the smart object layer do not fit in the canvas and come up like the attached photo. I want them full stretched cover the entire frame. Any thoughts on how I can fix that?
This is normal.

As you stated above....
a process where I will be putting an image to a smart object layer, fit the photo manually to canvas, save it and exit
This can't be automated. The image, no matter the content, just goes into the SO as is and that's it. Each new image added to the SO must be re-sized to fit the canvas............unless each new image you add to the automated process is the exact same proportions as the original SO you used in the creation of the automation. You could of course automate the re-sizing of the new images before they are added to the frame mockup.

This is normal.

As you stated above....

This can't be automated. The image, no matter the content, just goes into the SO as is and that's it. Each new image added to the SO must be re-sized to fit the canvas............unless each new image you add to the automated process is the exact same proportions as the original SO you used in the creation of the automation.
Hi Sam, thank you for your answer! After hours of searching, I found a way, you have to run a Javascript file which makes the images to stretch and fit the canvas size and add it to the action!

makes the images to stretch and fit
As long as this is proportional.........otherwise it will look distorted.

Simple example.
This is the quote image in it's normal size.
Screen Shot 2024-10-15 at 3.09.11 PM.png

Here, the quote image has been stretched to fit the mockup...........not much difference so the distortion might be acceptable.
Screen Shot 2024-10-15 at 3.09.46 PM.png

But in some cases, the distortion is not acceptable.
Original quote
Screen Shot 2024-10-15 at 3.14.18 PM.png

Stretched to fit, not acceptable!
Screen Shot 2024-10-15 at 3.14.51 PM.png

This is normal.

As you stated above....

This can't be automated. The image, no matter the content, just goes into the SO as is and that's it. Each new image added to the SO must be re-sized to fit the canvas............unless each new image you add to the automated process is the exact same proportions as the original SO you used in the creation of the automation. You could of course automate the re-sizing of the new images before they are added to the frame mockup.
My initial thought was just use vanishing point and adjust accordingly...no automation possible...

Back