What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faded photo edges to transparent background

Sophie Crooke

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me...

I've been asked to create a set of photos with a faded background. My boss gave me the attached image as an example. I initially thought it would be fairly easy. I could add a layer mask and a Gaussian Blur. I have successfully faded the edges, but I have only managed to do it with a colour fill layer, I can't work out how to get the background transparent without it looking jagged and ugly. I need to effect to look like the attachment. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sophie

Attachments

• front3.png
    front3.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 19
Hi that's great, but it doesn't explain how to get a transparent background, just how to darken the edges. I need to use the photos as part of a powerpoint presentation which has a blue background.

Make a new file > make sure the background is transparent > use the rounded marquee tool and draw around the image the way you want it > set the feather to whatever number looks right > copy and paste onto new layer > delete original layer.. boom

Inkz, now that's the way it's done! Welcome to the video club!

I usually use Jing, its easier than camtasia, but not as powerful. Thanks for your help guys - been brilliant - I feel embarrassed I asked something so easy!

Back