What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Enhancing or clearing up image

13crigby

So I'm new to photo editing, and I need some one for cleaning up/enhancing so we can identify this man. He broke into my friend's apartment and stole a bunch of stuff, keys were among what was stolen. This is him coming back, and unlocking the door while I was there keeping watch. He heard me and took off. I just need one. I tried to get a the best screenshot from the video I took.

🙏🏼🙏🏼 Thanks in advance 20220411_001709_001_exported_2150.jpg

Unfortunately, a highly blurred image without details can't be brought back.
You've got a better shot at recognizing him by his hat and the insignia.

Here's a try at it -

dooreay.jpg

dooreay cropped.jpg

dooreay cropped 2.jpg

Was this image/video taken with a phone through a peephole?

He broke into my friend's apartment and stole a bunch of stuff, keys were among what was stolen.
If your neighbor knew the keys were stolen and there was a remote possibility that he might return, why didn't your neighbor have the lockset changed immediately?????

This is him coming back, and unlocking the door while I was there keeping watch. He heard me and took off.
Not a solid plan here! Where you capable of defending yourself had this guy came through the door? Sometimes they don't care if you are inside! You're very lucky he ran off!

Unfortunately, a highly blurred image without details can't be brought back.
You've got a better shot at recognizing him by his hat and the insignia.
Agreed.
An image is comprised of pixels. Photoshop is not capable of guessing at missing pixels. The Photoshop user is capable of guessing but it would be just that, an inaccurate guess. You would need an advanced algorithm that could guess at the missing pixels. My genuine advice would be to acquire a better and much higher resolution security camera at the front door just in case this happens in the future. There's really no cost limit on your safety!

GIGO (Garbage in...garbage out) is appropriate here. Most of us here will come up with something like the above. It was worth a shot however. Some times there is hidden information not noticeable to the naked eye that can greatly enhance an image especially if the capture has good dynamic range with deep bit depth. Not the case here.

You might get MUCH better results if you can find someone with specialized software that can break the video up into stills and use that software to overlap/stack the images and extrapolate/average out the differences.

My best try isn't worth posting. .sorry.

Listen to IamSam

GIGO (Garbage in...garbage out) is appropriate here. Most of us here will come up with something like the above. It was worth a shot however. Some times there is hidden information not noticeable to the naked eye that can greatly enhance an image especially if the capture has good dynamic range with deep bit depth. Not the case here.

You might get MUCH better results if you can find someone with specialized software that can break the video up into stills and use that software to overlap/stack the images and extrapolate/average out the differences.

My best try isn't worth posting. .sorry.

Listen to IamSam
thank you for trying!

Was this image/video taken with a phone through a peephole?

If your neighbor knew the keys were stolen and there was a remote possibility that he might return, why didn't your neighbor have the lockset changed immediately?????

Not a solid plan here! Where you capable of defending yourself had this guy came through the door? Sometimes they don't care if you are inside! You're very lucky he ran off!

Agreed.
An image is comprised of pixels. Photoshop is not capable of guessing at missing pixels. The Photoshop user is capable of guessing but it would be just that, an inaccurate guess. You would need an advanced algorithm that could guess at the missing pixels. My genuine advice would be to acquire a better and much higher resolution security camera at the front door just in case this happens in the future. There's really no cost limit on your safety!

Yes it was taken with my pixel 6. And through the peephole. Quick thinking and only thing I had to get images/footage.

My friend was in the hospital. He didn't know anything was stolen until we had stopped by to check on the place, and things weren't the way we left them, and things were missing. We wrote down everything and called and told him. They way the guy left the apartment, seemed like he was coming back. He entered through the bathroom window, and took the keys for a easy return. Me and my boyfriend stayed the night and replaced the locks the morning after I got him on camera.

Was I capable of defending myself? Yes. If it came down to it, yes.

Thanks for your comment and advice!

My friend was in the hospital. He didn't know anything was stolen until we had stopped by to check on the place, and things weren't the way we left them, and things were missing. We wrote down everything and called and told him. They way the guy left the apartment, seemed like he was coming back. He entered through the bathroom window, and took the keys for a easy return. Me and my boyfriend stayed the night and replaced the locks the morning after I got him on camera.
Thanks for the explanation. Having known this from the onset would have made me feel better. I was genuinely concerned for your safety based on what you stated in the OP. I hope you can see where the lack of information can lead to presumption. I'm glad you're safe.

Thanks for the explanation. Having known this from the onset would have made me feel better. I was genuinely concerned for your safety based on what you stated in the OP. I hope you can see where the lack of information can lead to presumption. I'm glad you're safe.
Yeah sorry. I figured it was alot of information and would make a long post.. sorry for the confusion or lack of info. And I appreciate your concern! All is well, I am safe.

Back