What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing streetphotography

GreenRider

hey hello everyone, here I come to you because I can't understand my editing method! No matter how much I search, I can't find it! I'm trying to understand how we go about getting this dynamic, "clean" look that's quite lively with a well-pronounced texture! when I go out to take photos I never get these results! I spend hours on Lightroom! I don't understand ! I'll leave you some example images here! I don't really know how I could describe this style of editing but I find it pretty cool!

I invite you to analyze the image carefully to notice and understand the effect applied to certain details of the image

I use a sony a7riii with 35mm zeiss 2.8 za ,

and I still have very poor quality images! Although I play with the lights, I'm always at 1/250 or 1/500, f5.6 or f8 iso at least. but nothing helps, I still have very poor quality images! if anyone has any answers! because it frustrates me in my approach as a photographer

I can send you some images of mine if anyone asks for comparison

Screenshot_20240620_235435_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_235325_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_235306_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_235251_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_110520_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240619_202835_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240617_185301_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240617_185251_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240614_181732_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240614_181821_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240614_181457_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240614_181446_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240601_131030_Instagram.jpg

FB_IMG_1717239554602.jpg

I can send you some images of mine if anyone asks for comparison
Please post them here in the thread if you wish to have a comparison. Thanks.

The following is just an opinion. It's not meant to hurt anyone's feelings, it's just preference to be taken with a grain of salt.
I don't see anything consistent with the photo examples you've provided with the exception of the contrast (too dark). The only ones that aren't as "contrasty" are 5 and 14 and possibly 8. With the exception of 5 and 14, you seem to be attracted to darkened imagery where details are lost or obscured.

2, 3 and 4 are just special effects that are lost on me personally. Many people really like these effects though. Again nice and dark with effects that obscure details.

1, 9, 10, and 14 are terrible photos.......not in content just the photography and editing.

9 and 10 are just way too dark! Great content though.

1 and 14 are blurry. 1 not making any sense at all as far as content.

13 and 10 are great images that could use a little editing to become awesome. Not that the rest wouldn't improve with proper editing.

8 can stand on it's own! Great photo.

If you wish to emulate this style, just add a Curves Adjustment layer and pull down the shadows. Or use CR to also darken the shadows.

Great street photo!
Screen Shot 2024-06-21 at 1.55.04 PM.png

Knock back the exposure, vibrance, saturation and contrast in CR. Details are obscured.
Screen Shot 2024-06-21 at 2.11.02 PM.png

i think you need to be way more selective in what you consider a 'good' photograph. and how much you play with it. there are a few good ones there, but most are, imho, overworked and lack compelling interest.

The main thing I see is that your images lack the lighting contrast of the examples you provided. In most of your examples, there is a strong light source. In your images there is nothing but a gloomy grey cloud and rain filled light source. I don't know if it's post editing or your camera settings, but your images are too dark. Your first image content is fantastic even though it's posed! The second photo looks as though a guy jumped into your shot right at the last second.

I would really like to understand the editing work behind it!
You need to understand that editing is not the solution. You must first learn the photography aspect. It's very important. Taking the right photo in the right lighting with the right content and right settings will get you closer to the type of effect you desire.................you just can't edit your way to a certain look.

It's very difficult to critique artists' - creative perception is just that. You have some excellent content in your images and yes, some of them are quite dark. A bit of advice a painter/photographer once gave me - always ask yourself this question...why did you just take this picture? Always found this to be great guidance for both in-camera composition and post-processing...

when i used to teach video / photography, i always suggested using the smallest card possible - think of it as using film, make every shot count, don't simply press the shutter as if it was a machine gun. a good picture requires thought, and the more you shoot, the more you have to cull afterwards.

Back