What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS6 Clone Stamp issue

Paul Capener

Hi all, new member here, hope somebody can help me with a weird issue that just started to occur.

Have been using Photoshop of various issues for about 30 years and generally consider myself an a fairly competent amateur.

I currently use CS6 on both my desktop and laptop (Windows 10) don't wish to go subscription.

An issue has just started to occur with the Clone Stamp function on my desktop. When I select a sample point, a duplicate image is created, above the one that I am trying to edit, this then moves around the window as I move the mouse. There is no new layer shown, I assume that I have inadvertently activated a mode that is invisible to me.

I have compared all of the settings between the desktop and laptop to see if I can identify anything odd but with no avail.

An option is to uninstall/reinstall Photoshop and hope that this resolves the issue, bur would prefer to do this as a last resort.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

I found your problem, which I never knew existed until you brought it up. I have CS5, which should be very similar to your CS6.
  • Select the Clone Stamp tool.
  • Up top, where all the settings are, look for a little icon that resembles the clone stamp (where the first red arrow is pointing). Click that.
  • It opens a dialog box that you see on the right. In that dialog box is a setting that you can either check or uncheck called Clipped.
  • If the Clipped box is unchecked, Photoshop creates a temporary duplicate layer that moves around during Clone Stamp operation. I never knew this.
  • If you check the box, the problem goes away.

My guess is that Photoshop always creates this temporary duplicate layer during a Clone Stamp session. But when it is clipped, it doesn't move around, so none of us is aware that the temporaty layer even exists.

1719418135277.png

I found your problem, which I never knew existed until you brought it up. I have CS5, which should be very similar to your CS6.
  • Select the Clone Stamp tool.
  • Up top, where all the settings are, look for a little icon that resembles the clone stamp (where the first red arrow is pointing). Click that.
  • It opens a dialog box that you see on the right. In that dialog box is a setting that you can either check or uncheck called Clipped.
  • If the Clipped box is unchecked, Photoshop creates a temporary duplicate layer that moves around during Clone Stamp operation. I never knew this.
  • If you check the box, the problem goes away.

My guess is that Photoshop always creates this temporary duplicate layer during a Clone Stamp session. But when it is clipped, it doesn't move around, so none of us is aware that the temporaty layer even exists.
Thanks Rich, that fixed the problem. I never realised this dialogue box even existed!
From the positive view, this is the first issue that has stumped me in 30 years; from a different perspective to become a real competent amateur, I still need another 300 years of practice.
Paul.

I never realised this dialogue box even existed!

Neither did I. And I have no idea what the other options in that dialog box will do.
Also, I've been thinking all day and I can't think of any situation where I would want to un-clip my clone stamp and have that temporary layer dancing all over the place. How could that possibly be useful?

Neither did I. And I have no idea what the other options in that dialog box will do.
Also, I've been thinking all day and I can't think of any situation where I would want to un-clip my clone stamp and have that temporary layer dancing all over the place. How could that possibly be useful?
Tried all of the settings ... agree Rich.

Back