What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5 crashes/ closes when saving

system is vista 32bit with 4g ram.

I can open files in photoshop and edit all day, no problems. When I go to save, the entire program closes, no error or anything. If I use "save as" the dialogue box will open and either close the entire program within seconds or will close as soon as I click something.

I've been mostly crash free for over a year. I haven't installed anything.

All drivers are up to date
photoshop is up to date
my graphics card doesn't support the gl drawing so I don't even have an option to turn that on.
I've restored my computer to the last restore point from before the problem began, did not help.
I tried the filter>twirl thing suggested in another thread and had no problems doing it 10+ times.

Event viewer usually shows this when the problem occurs

Faulting application Photoshop.exe, version 12.0.4.0, time stamp 0x4d9d8cbc, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18541, time stamp 0x4ec3e3d5, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00067daa, process id 0x1fbc, application start time 0x01cd8bafc59eb8b3.

Anyone, please please help with this, I'm about to lose my mind, lol!
Thanks in advance

save for web will open up and work right up to the point where I press "save" and then completely crashes.

Also, the more I've been messing with photoshop the more random crashes are happening.

Would also like to add that my computer is virus free and this is the only program experiencing problems.

Surely someone has to know what that error code I'm getting means?

Thanks again!

I done some research to this...

Try resetting your preferences.

Hold down Alt, Ctrl and Shift key while starting up Ps. A dialog box will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences/settings file.

Or simply search your hard drive for a .psp file and delete it. It will be called something like "Adobe Photoshop X Prefs.psp".

Hope this helps.

Just fully uninstalled photoshop and reinstalled, problem persists with faulting module ntdll.dll
I'm thinking this is the uncurable. Tons of people reporting the same problem with few answers....

Is your scratch disk on a different or the same drive as PS ? Is it full ? How big is it? I use twice as much RAM, can you add some?

Back