What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

color and richness loss saving from raw to jpeg

FossilHunter

When I have opened a raw file image in photoshop then save it as jpeg file the color and richness change dramatically. Deep red roses become dull flat purple roses and the entire image becomes very flat lacking that deep rich color you see in the raw version. I have checked all the photoshop pre-sets and they appear fine.
Suggestions? new to photoshop.

red cannot be saved well in jpg. So you have to save at 100% quality.
Of course that some details and colors are given up, that's how a 20MB RAW file becomes 100KB. They say that details that the eye wouldn't really notice are cut away, so it is possible that only you can tell the difference, but not someone else :)

Hello,
I think it depends on how you define jpg settings as costisefu writes, but also on your Photoshop settings in Edit -> Color Settings.
Best regards,
Peter

red cannot be saved well in jpg. So you have to save at 100% quality.
Of course that some details and colors are given up, that's how a 20MB RAW file becomes 100KB. They say that details that the eye wouldn't really notice are cut away, so it is possible that only you can tell the difference, but not someone else :)

Thanks very much for the response. I love that I can ask questions and learn things here. the difference is very apparent and the quality of the images are so dull and lacking of life I dislike the final result as jpeg very much. I did save at maximum which I believe is 10, vs the default of good at 8. No richness at all to the jpeg images. banging my head a little right now.....

This has come up time and again with images being saved for web. Photoshop has a tendency to desaturate colors when saving out to jpg. You mentioned you're a beginner in Photoshop, so I'll show you a simple technique that should help.

Step 1: Set your monitor color display profile to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" by going to the Apple Menu>System Preferences>Displays>Color. (I'm assuming you're on a MAC, the steps to set monitor display profiles may be different on a PC.)

Step 2: Launch Photoshop. Go to EDIT>COLOR SETTINGS and select "Monitor Color" from the "Settings" menu.

Step 3: Convert your RAW file to sRGB. Do not convert directly to JPG. Open it within Photoshop.

Step 4: Select VIEW>Proof Setup>Monitor RGB. This will allow you to view the colors as they will appear when you save as a JPG.

Step 5: If image is not bright enough or saturated enough to your liking, fix it with adjustment layers, etc.

Step 6a: If saving image for web, resize your image to the proper pixel sizes at 72 ppi (IMAGE>Image Size) then select "Save for Web and devices". Set to your intended quality (I typically use 80 for images, 100 for thumbnails), select "embed profile" and save.

Step 6b: If you're saving out as a full-size JPG in order to make the file smaller, select SAVE AS, select JPEG, select "Embed Profile", set your quality, select "Baseline Optimized" and click OK.

There are much more complicated methods, but this technique seems to work pretty well.

Back