What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best way to cut out people

Eddie Cook

Ok maybe I missed a memo or something but I have looked at several tutorials but I am still struggling with this.

What is the best way to this? I have tried the pen tool and I have managed ok with it so far but it always moves my lines when I let off of the left key.

The lasso tool always seems to select things I dont want selected when I let off of the left key.

quick select? you choose what is removed and what is kept by varying the use of the add and subtract version.

I think it depends on the photo. All the selection tools have a purpose and work well in certain circumstances. It is a good idea to get familiar with them all.

when making selections I find it best that if I have to use photoshops built in methods then quick selection is best especially if you hold down shift key to add to the selection and the alt key to subtract and then use refine edge and possibly refine mask if your going down that route. Or easier method is to buy a plugin called topaz remask 3

Topaz is expensive unless you're looking to do some serious work (or rolling in dough of course). Like Stric9 said, all the tools have their purpose. If there is a well-defined edge, that is when the quick select works really well, then you need to zoom in and refine edges like Hoogle said. I also have good luck with the polygonal lasso tool when the selection is less critical but needs to be tight to the selection. I have come to love the pen tool for crisp, exact selections and I am not sure what you mean when you say it moves your lines when you let off the left key. I have not had any such problem, but what do you mean by "left key."

You cant forget the quick mask mode as well that is powerfull if you look below all the tools on the left hand side you should see a rectangle with a circle in the middle press that and it will enter quick mask mode which then lets you paint what you want to select in a red colour press q on your keyboard and it will make a selection of everything what you painted then go to select ? inverse selection then that will make a selection which then lets you refine edges as well

Topaz is expensive unless you're looking to do some serious work (or rolling in dough of course). Like Stric9 said, all the tools have their purpose. If there is a well-defined edge, that is when the quick select works really well, then you need to zoom in and refine edges like Hoogle said. I also have good luck with the polygonal lasso tool when the selection is less critical but needs to be tight to the selection. I have come to love the pen tool for crisp, exact selections and I am not sure what you mean when you say it moves your lines when you let off the left key. I have not had any such problem, but what do you mean by "left key."
Sorry. I meant the left mouse button.

If you get the circle wihch indicates completion on both the lasso and the pen tool path, you should not have any problem. Your selection should not move. I have no idea why it would. Anybody?

In truth however, I find that the best way to cut out people is to not answer my phone or the doorbell, stay home and watch tv (telly to some of you), and just generally pretend nobody else exists.

Last edited:
Theres also no need at all to hold your breath while performing any of the above techniques.

Back